Michael Vick indicted - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Michael Vick indicted

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Michael Vick indicted

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:54 am

jfg wrote:I don't know why people aren't as upset about athletes getting involved in altercations like Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis or how about athletes involved in rape cases. It just seems really strange to me that people are willing to accept things that affect human lives but it's the worst offense to kill dogs. Again, not that killing dogs is anywhere near ok, but raping a woman is 100X worse to me and killing somebody or being involved with it doesn't even come close.

I don't think most athletes have one time lapse of judgment. Just like Vick it's a pattern of behavior that they've gotten away with most of their life. But, unlike Vick they didn't get jail time and that's why I think Vick deserves his second chance, he did his time and didn't get a slap on the wrist like most.

I think it has to do with the situation. Dogs are like perpetual babies and people who raise them know what I am talking about. Most of them cannot survive on their own and are at the mercy of people who are caring for them. So scumbags like Vick who are raising them to kill each other for enjoyment makes people upset.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:23 am

Yoda wrote:
jfg wrote:I don't know why people aren't as upset about athletes getting involved in altercations like Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis or how about athletes involved in rape cases. It just seems really strange to me that people are willing to accept things that affect human lives but it's the worst offense to kill dogs. Again, not that killing dogs is anywhere near ok, but raping a woman is 100X worse to me and killing somebody or being involved with it doesn't even come close.

I don't think most athletes have one time lapse of judgment. Just like Vick it's a pattern of behavior that they've gotten away with most of their life. But, unlike Vick they didn't get jail time and that's why I think Vick deserves his second chance, he did his time and didn't get a slap on the wrist like most.

I think it has to do with the situation. Dogs are like perpetual babies and people who raise them know what I am talking about. Most of them cannot survive on their own and are at the mercy of people who are caring for them. So scumbags like Vick who are raising them to kill each other for enjoyment makes people upset.

That and Vick was also a QB, and the face of a franchise. Those two reasons alone are going to get him more attention.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 am

Metroid wrote:
Yoda wrote:

That and Vick was also a QB, and the face of a franchise. Those two reasons alone are going to get him more attention.

yeah...Vick was actually a good player, Stallworth was marginal at best. i mean if it was Justin Gage or something who killed dogs and then came back, there would probably be a big collective meh...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Yoda wrote:

yeah...Vick was actually a good player, Stallworth was marginal at best. i mean if it was Justin Gage or something who killed dogs and then came back, there would probably be a big collective meh...

Exactly. And if it was someone like TO or Randy Moss that did what Stallworth did, it would be covered much more. It's all about their star power. If AJ Feeley smackes a stripper in a night club it'd be hardly covered and mostly forgotten about in month, If Tom Brady smackes a stripper in a nigh club it'd be headline material for a year.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:44 am

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:That and Vick was also a QB, and the face of a franchise. Those two reasons alone are going to get him more attention.

Exactly. And if it was someone like TO or Randy Moss that did what Stallworth did, it would be covered much more. It's all about their star power. If AJ Feeley smackes a stripper in a night club it'd be hardly covered and mostly forgotten about in month, If Tom Brady smackes a stripper in a nigh club it'd be headline material for a year.

I so wish this would happen.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:48 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

I so wish this would happen.

That would be kinda funny. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 am

I saw the 60 minutes interview. Whether he is sincerely sorry or not is irrelevant because he obviously is. He grew up watching dog fights and it was the norm. However, he made a conscious choice to finance and run a dog fighting ring for 6 years. He lied about it to everyone after he was caught. I don't think 2 years in jail has completely reformed him but obviously he won't be running any dog fighting rings in the future.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 am

Yoda wrote:Whether he is sincerely sorry or not is irrelevant because he obviously is.

Say what? :-b
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:57 am

knapplc wrote:
Yoda wrote:Whether he is sincerely sorry or not is irrelevant because he obviously is.

Say what? :-b

Should say irrelevant. Not "not".
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk