What do you think of this league setup for yahoo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you think of this league setup for yahoo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you think of this league setup for yahoo?

Postby DetroitGloryDays » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:02 pm

I am impatiently waiting for yahoo to open it's gates, and every year I am a commissioner inviting my friends....and others to play.

Here is what I have for a 20 team rotisserie league....

POS/ c,1b,2b,3b,ss,rf,lf,cf,of,util,util =11 hitters

4sp,4rp,3p =11pitchers w/3 bench spots and 3DL spots
the roster consists of 25 active players

The categories consist of; avg,hr,rbi,r,sb,obp,tb era,w,ip,k,sv,hld,whip
(7 categories each)

I am trying to keep the balance between pitcher and hitter values, and express the players skills with quality categories.
"A slick way to outfigure a person is to get him figuring you figure he's figuring you're figuring he'll figure you aren't really figuring what you want him to figure you figure." - Whitey Herzog, St. Louis Cardinals manager
DetroitGloryDays
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swoosh3esq » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:12 pm

Hmm, with 20 teams and 25 active roster spots, that is going to be a deep league
swoosh3esq
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby eli81k » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:24 pm

Cut it down to a standard nine player line-up (just like real baseball) but instead of a DH, obviously use the UTIL:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, UTIL

The elimination of the extra OF and UTIL should help the gigantic talent scarcity that will happen in a 20 team league.

I've mostly done head to head play, so I don't know how many pitchers a starting line-up should use to meet season totals for IP, but my head to head league requires a bare minimum of 35 IP per week (though the average is around 50 per team) and we use SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P and haven't had a complaint yet.

If 35-50 IP per week will give you the seasonlong total that you are looking for, I'd go with the above requirements.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

response

Postby bruuno2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:31 pm

Do yourself a favor and run two leagues at 10 teams each,or cut out the fat down to 12 teams.Then you can leave the rest alone.20 teams are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many. ;-D
bruuno2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Apex » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:34 pm

Since you asked, I would strongly recommend against using IP as a category in roto. We used them last year in a Yahoo league and the final standings had nothing to do with staff quality, which is the point. The final standings in IP were based on who grabbed the right pitchers in the last weekend of the season.

Assuming you have a maximum number of innings, Yahoo shuts down the team on the day after you achieve that maximum, so owners were inching up to the maximum in the last week of the season by using closers and then packed the starting line-up with all the starters on one of the last days of the season. The owners who did best were the ones that happened to pick the starters who went 8-9 innings rather than 6-7 innings. Do you really want 6 months of effort lost when a NL manager has to make a double switch in the top of the sixth? Think about it.

I admit, I was one of the main perpetrators, but it's still a loophole you don't need to create.
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kentx12 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:41 pm

20 teams starting a lf, cf, and rf will be tough. I would hate to have to fill 1 of those spots late in the draft.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby tddf30 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:49 pm

i would cut down the team to 1 RP there is already a hard time getting a good one with 12 teams, let alone having 20, the rest is fine bc there are a ton of baseball players out there
tddf30
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:33 pm

I play in a 16 team league going into the 3rd year. We still have 14 of the original 16 owners and everyone is compotent.

I wouldnt want to play in a deeper league than that, it gets hard enough finding serviceable players off the waiver wire as is there.

More power to you if you can handle going that deep. ;-D
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers