Add a closer or Power Hitter (HR/RBI)? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Add a closer or Power Hitter (HR/RBI)? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Add a closer or Power Hitter (HR/RBI)? WHIR

Postby jaykay123 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:46 pm

My team has been picking up as of late and now, it's a tight 4 team race at the top with lead changes every other day. 10 team 5X5 roto league. As this is a money league, I'm trying to address any weaknesses as soon as possible. However, I'm still struggling in HRs, RBIs, and Saves (ERA and WHIP not the best but servicable). Lately, I've been stacking up closers because I was last in saves. I'm still far behind, but given the players available and the recent news on Carpenter, I want to drop him for a closer or a power hitter. Take a look at my team; what do you suggest doing?

Players available:

hitters:
Andruw Jones
Jermaine Dye
Todd Helton
Carlos Delgado

closer:
Al Reyes

My team:

C Kenji Johjima
1B Albert Pujols
2B Brian Roberts
3B Garrett Atkins
SS Édgar Rentería
OF Grady Sizemore
OF Hunter Pence
OF Matt Holliday
Util Paul Konerko
BN Carlos Guillén
BN Chone Figgins

SP Aaron Harang
SP Carlos Zambrano
RP Eric Gagne
RP Kevin Gregg
P Jeremy Accardo
P Joe Nathan
BN C.C. Sabathia
BN Dan Haren
BN Jeremy Bonderman
BN Chris Carpenter
DL Huston Street

Thanks
jaykay123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Add a closer or Power Hitter (HR/RBI)? WHIR

Postby morphism » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Here are my thoughts. If you are committed to playing Roberts at 2B (I like Figgins over Roberts), package him with either Pence or Konerko for one big bat. Go to the pile and grab Andrew Jones now (which would substitute for the loss of the other player). Right now, the add will not help you (since there is no place on your team for any of those players). I think you should make a trade in conjunction with picking up A. Jones. Good luck.
morphism
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby schmidty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:39 pm

I agree that Andruw is the guy to pick up ... you knew he wouldn't stay in his slump forever, and his HRs/RBIs are just what you need. Carpenter is an easy drop in a non-keeper league. Reyes is very tempting as well if you need saves. As soon as he starts closing again his value will go up again (I'm assuming someone dropped him when he got hurt). You have 2 hitters on you bench (Figgins and Guillen) who would be starters on most teams. Shop around a 2B or SS and try to work a 2-for-1 trade opening up a roster spot (upgrading any other position. Maybe one of them with Pence for a truly studly OFer, for example. Looks like a strong team that should contend though. Good luck!

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=308825
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby waltb87 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:43 pm

when andruw heats up, thats gonna be your power hitter, and i think ur ok on closers, but yeah, i would use figgins over roberts and package him w/ pence for a power hitting outfielder
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team