The Onion comes out with a terribly unfunny article... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Onion comes out with a terribly unfunny article...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Onion comes out with a terribly unfunny article...

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:57 pm

I don't understand the negative reaction to this. Am I the only one who thought ESPN mentioned how great the upcoming football season was going to be for VT students/community a bit too often as they were "covering" that tragedy? It certainly wasn't a hilarious piece, but I thought it accomplished what it wanted to do. I didn't think it was in bad taste at all.

caveat: if this was in reference to an actual shooting (which I didn't get the impression it was), then ignore the above.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:16 pm

I probably would have laughed if 5 girls in a town close by didnt die in a car accident, while the community tries to recover in any way they can, including local sports.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:20 pm

The fact of the matter is that sports is a way of taking your mind off of terrible situations for some people. You also have a large segment of society who do not watch sports of any kind and simply choose not to understand it or see its importance in our world. I guess I saw this as an article written by someone who is "anti-sport" as a social satire, and that irked me because I dont think he/she "gets it".
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brewcrew4you » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:The fact of the matter is that sports is a way of taking your mind off of terrible situations for some people. You also have a large segment of society who do not watch sports of any kind and simply choose not to understand it or see its importance in our world. I guess I saw this as an article written by someone who is "anti-sport" as a social satire, and that irked me because I dont think he/she "gets it".

A way of taking your mind of a situation? Yes.

A way to heal a town/school/nation? No. No

I believe that is what the article is satirizing, the idea that people think that sports can heal those sort of wounds. Sports may provide a forum where a community can unite behind something positive after a tragedy, but they have no miraculous healing powers, as some sportscasters would have you believe.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:53 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:The fact of the matter is that sports is a way of taking your mind off of terrible situations for some people. You also have a large segment of society who do not watch sports of any kind and simply choose not to understand it or see its importance in our world. I guess I saw this as an article written by someone who is "anti-sport" as a social satire, and that irked me because I dont think he/she "gets it".

A way of taking your mind of a situation? Yes.

A way to heal a town/school/nation? No. No

I believe that is what the article is satirizing, the idea that people think that sports can heal those sort of wounds. Sports may provide a forum where a community can unite behind something positive after a tragedy, but they have no miraculous healing powers, as some sportscasters would have you believe.

I just thought the article went way overboard. I don't know if people really do think that they can be healed through sports- it's just a way for people to focus on something else and maybe make them happy for just the few hours that they watch a sporting event. Obviously watching a baseball game doesn't make anything better but maybe it's an outlet for someone going through a bad situation. I don't get what's so horrible about trying to use sports as an outlet.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brewcrew4you » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:07 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
I just thought the article went way overboard. I don't know if people really do think that they can be healed through sports- it's just a way for people to focus on something else and maybe make them happy for just the few hours that they watch a sporting event. Obviously watching a baseball game doesn't make anything better but maybe it's an outlet for someone going through a bad situation. I don't get what's so horrible about trying to use sports as an outlet.

I agree that sports can be an outlet, but it is mocking the oft expressed opinion among writers and broadcasters that the sports will heal the town/school/country.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:09 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:

I agree that sports can be an outlet, but it is mocking the oft expressed opinion among writers and broadcasters that the sports will heal the town/school/country.

Probably not in the best taste, but it's certainly nothing to get upset about.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk