Oh no...Ben Sheets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Oh no...Ben Sheets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Oh no...Ben Sheets

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:00 pm

It seems like they often say someone will be out 4-6 weeks and then it turns into 8, 9, 10 weeks. The opposite also happens, but with Ben Sheets' history, I'd be betting on the former.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fitz0527 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Here's to hoping Myers gets off the DL spot soon so I can shove Sheets in the spot because I'm sure he's going to be in there a long while.
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:11 pm

Well Gallardo owners are rejoicing as he just earned at least a few more starts than anticipated...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:14 pm

schmidty wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:Good news for those interested: http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=7/17/2007&id=26532

Looking like a 2 week precautionary stint, not the 6 weeks that were potentially feared. It's only a small tear, not a complete one.

The headline of the article you quoted says 4-6 weeks. Despite not being a complete tear, that still sucks pretty hard :~(

Yeah, the headline actually changed from when I originally posted it. It used to say "Sheets gets good news" or something like that.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nothingtoproveco » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:04 am

So here's a question to all the Sheets owners out there. What should be done now? Obviously if there is a DL spot left open, stash him there but otherwise what should be done? Keep him around and hope he comes back strong for the postseason or cut losses and pick up somebody of the wire?
nothingtoproveco
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby soty » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:15 am

nothingtoproveco wrote:So here's a question to all the Sheets owners out there. What should be done now? Obviously if there is a DL spot left open, stash him there but otherwise what should be done? Keep him around and hope he comes back strong for the postseason or cut losses and pick up somebody of the wire?
i was wondering about this myself. i have him in a keeper league and before the injury i had planned on him as one of my keepers. now i am starting to think otherwise. what should us sheets owners do?
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby AdvRider » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:43 am

Man, tough luck for the Brew Crew. It’s always fun to see a perennial underachiever turn itself into a contender ala Tigers last year but this is a real setback.

Heard on ESPN Radio the rest of Milwaukee’s SPs had just 30 quality starts out of 74, I think it was. Suppan needs to step up and deliver a decent second half like he did last year.

I stashed Sheets on the DL and grabbed Gallardo from the WW. Wonder how much pressure that young Yo is feeling -– first place team, replacing the ace, into the fire. Hopefully he’s got the mentality to deal with it. I’ll give him a vote of confidence and have in my starting rotation Thursday. Some detes & perspective from the MLB.com story:

The good news, Ash said, is that the tendon is intact and no surgery is required. Sheets' injury is different from the one suffered earlier this season by Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya, who tore the tendon in his finger and continues to rehab. It is more similar to the one suffered by then-Braves pitcher Horatio Ramirez, who suffered a more significant tear last season and needed about 12 weeks to recover.

The area of focus for Sheets is the "A-4 pulley," located near the tip of his right middle finger. Sheets said his mindset was that he will miss the full six weeks, so if he returns before that it's a bonus.

"It's up to Ben and his healing process," Ash said. "[There are] no definitive answers. We'll just have to be patient and monitor it. We have a lot of faith in our medical staff. They have been right in the past and we will continue to take their assessments."

Sheets will do arm exercises that do not involve putting pressure on his finger to keep his elbow and shoulder strong. He will remain in uniform with the team.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates