Oh no...Ben Sheets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Oh no...Ben Sheets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Oh no...Ben Sheets

Postby SmartassBoiler » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:48 am

GregJeffries wrote:Man, I just traded Sheets for Manny last week...(figuring Sheets was bound to hit the DL soon)...I don't want to root against Sheets, but with Gallardo on my bench, it's pretty hard not to...

I give up..."Come on total tendon tear!!!"

Show some damn class and don't post this garbage. :-t
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pangbones » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:13 pm

chinst wrote:http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070716&content_id=2089883&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

The MRI scan confirmed trainers' original diagnosis: Sheets has a sprained right middle finger. More specifically, there appears to be a "fraying" of the tissue that holds a tendon in place on the palm-side of the digit, and a dynamic ultrasound on Tuesday should determine the extent of that tearing.

"If it's partially torn, this is a simple couple of weeks, he'll be back," said assistant general manager Gord Ash, the team's point man on injuries. "If it's more fully torn, there will be more of a prolonged rest period, up to possibly six weeks."

The tendon appears intact, Ash said, and whatever the results of Tuesday's test, it appears Sheets will not need surgery. Doctors will observe Sheets' finger movements on an ultrasound machine to get a better look at the damage.

Well, I traded for him with a buy-low when he got hurt, hoping for a short term thing. Hopefully it is just a couple weeks rest -- but I guess I could live with six weeks if I have to -- at least he'll be back for H2H playoffs...

I just hope this doesn't turn into one of those "not healing as planned, out for the season" things. But, it is encouraging to hear them ruling out surgery.

This doesn't sound good at all!! :-t :-o

If he needs the 6 weeks, then he'd have to get his arm back in game shape. He'd probably miss the rest of the regular season. Or most of it!!
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby GregJeffries » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:46 pm

jorwoods wrote:
GregJeffries wrote:I give up..."Come on total tendon tear!!!"

boooooo :-t

i have Gallardo too but I wouldn't cheer for a severe injury for Sheets.

Sorry guys....Was just kidding around...didn't mean to offend...:-X
GregJeffries
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GregJeffries » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:09 pm

BTW, I had a full tear in the same tendon of my ring finger last year. It took 2 months of wearing a brace, and another 2-3 months of physical therapy to get motion back (after opting for non-surgery)...(and full motion never did return to the finger :(

All kidding aside, lets really hope it's only a partial tear. It's when the tendon takes a part of the bone with it that the injury gets really bad and affects your ability to fully bend the finger tip in the future.

(Again, apologizing for the previous tasteless joke I posted...not really my style... :,-( )
GregJeffries
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:25 pm

So what does this do for the Brewers plans to limit Gallardo's innings? Is that plan out the window or will they try to skip him a lot? Or will they shut him down if they get Sheets back in September? I think this is going to screw up a lot of fantasy postseasons.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:08 pm

Good news for those interested: http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=7/17/2007&id=26532

Looking like a 2 week precautionary stint, not the 6 weeks that were potentially feared. It's only a small tear, not a complete one.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby schmidty » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:55 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:Good news for those interested: http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=7/17/2007&id=26532

Looking like a 2 week precautionary stint, not the 6 weeks that were potentially feared. It's only a small tear, not a complete one.

The headline of the article you quoted says 4-6 weeks. Despite not being a complete tear, that still sucks pretty hard :~(
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby 5 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:32 pm

General Manager
General Manager

Postby fitz0527 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:31 pm

damn 4-6...
atleast I have Gallardo. 8-o
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby wildbill » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:59 pm

From Rotworld:
Jul. 17 - 8:20 pm et
Ben Sheets will miss 4-6 weeks after an ultrasound Monday revealed a partial tear of the tissue surrounding the tendon in his right middle finger.
Sheets will rest for 10 to 14 days and then begin to throw with a splint. It'd be no big surprise if this injury costs him the rest of the season or at least limits him when he does return. Since he could overtake Claudio Vargas or another starter while Sheets is out, Yovani Gallardo will probably have a rotation spot for the rest of the year.
With Sheets history would anyone really be surprised if the next time he pitched was either late september to tune up for the playoffs or next year if they fall out of the race? For those that own him, at least you got half a season out of him, unlike Harden owners.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates