MLB teammates good idea in Fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB teammates good idea in Fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB teammates good idea in Fantasy?

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:07 am

The Baldelli vs Crawford mad me think of this.

Is it a bad idea to have a lot of players from the same MLB team on your fantasy roster?

What would be the downside to having, for example, more than 3 Yankees?

I tend to diversify, not necessarily on purpose, but I don't know why. I suppose a poor team might underperform in August and September or a great team could coast heading into the playoffs, but I don't see those as that significant.

Ideas on this? Thanks.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball genius » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:10 am

I don't think it's such a bad thing. The only problem is when the team has a day off you will have a lot of your players sitting.

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Brendo » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:30 am

obviously it depends on the team

I wouldn't go nuts on Tigers (sorry Mr. Genius) but I loaded up on Red sox last year and reaped the rewards

nothing wrong with it, unless you're just loading up on your favorite team for no other reason than to root root root for the home team....in which case all mets fans are invited to play in my league
YAHOO! RULES!!!!!
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:35 am

I dont like to have alot of players from the same team but if you can get a couple of the better players on a team it is not a real bad thing.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Re: MLB teammates good idea in Fantasy?

Postby justinA » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:42 am

Grouperman941 wrote:The Baldelli vs Crawford mad me think of this.

Is it a bad idea to have a lot of players from the same MLB team on your fantasy roster?

What would be the downside to having, for example, more than 3 Yankees?

I tend to diversify, not necessarily on purpose, but I don't know why. I suppose a poor team might underperform in August and September or a great team could coast heading into the playoffs, but I don't see those as that significant.

Ideas on this? Thanks.

I basically owned the entire Devil Rays roster at one point last year. In one game against the Orioles, I think my 4 rays players had like 10 hits combined. I had Baldelli, Huff, Lee, and Marlon Anderson. It was great. It does advantages in areas like when Huff got an RBI or scored a run, chances were he drove in baldelli or anderson or himself and when he scored, one of the other 3 had a good shot at being the person who drove em in. I always found myself rooting for like carl crawford to K so rocco could get up with lee or anderson on 3rd or w/e. It adds another dynamic.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:50 am

justinA: I had Huff and M Anderson at that time, so I remember a few games like that. But what about those stretches when they play the Red Sox and Yankees over a 10 day period?

Doesn't that sort of even it out?

We have a White Sox die hard on our leaue who at one time had 8 White Sox starting. He had like one great month and then nothing. We also had a Braves guy last year. He had 5 Braves. Started out on fire and faded late, kind of like the real Braves.

They still beat my all-injury slump team, though. :-)
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby trevisc » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:51 am

the downside is if you play H2H and the yankees have an off game and then get rained out then you will be up the creek for that week.

The good news is when they have a double header.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby justinA » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:58 am

Grouperman941 wrote:justinA: I had Huff and M Anderson at that time, so I remember a few games like that. But what about those stretches when they play the Red Sox and Yankees over a 10 day period?

Doesn't that sort of even it out?

Yea it does kinda, but luckily for me, i didnt play Marlon Anderson too much. I subbed him in and out with.. bo hart i think.. and matt kata. And lee i sometimes subbed with Tino when the matchup wasnt lookin too good.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AuburnTigers » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:11 am

Brendo wrote:nothing wrong with it, unless you're just loading up on your favorite team for no other reason than to root root root for the home team....in which case all mets fans are invited to play in my league

I thought that was a funny quote brendo. But I also agree that that its fine to have multiple players from one team. The disadvantages have been pointed out very well so far. IMO it makes the games much more interesting to you as a fan when you have more players in a game. I love to watch a game when I have a good portion of my team playing
AuburnTigers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers