Victor Martinez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Victor Martinez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby McGill » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:33 am

He seems to have adjusted during the later part of the season though...He hit at .344 in 19 games the last month of the season.

And, if i remember correctly, there was some talk last season about him being looked upon to clean up for the Indians.... :-?

"Watch me pull a rabbit out of the hat..."

"....Again?!!"
McGill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warthog » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:05 am

Going into last season the guy was "the next Piazza" and he did little to prove that comparison to be wrong. I love the guy and expect him to hit #5 in the order this season in an improving line-up that plays it's games in the pitching deprived AL Central. He is a definite top 10 and potential top 3 going into next season.

Let your friend take Mauer, he really doesn't have any power, and you take Vicotr in the next couple of rounds!
Wahka-Wahka-Wahka
Warthog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Cafe Writer

Postby Erboes » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:31 am

My associate, Tribe-fan, has got it right. The adjustment period for him was last season so he should hit the ground running this season. And let's get something clear. Mauer hasn't displayed power, Martinez has. Mid-teens is a reasonable expectation for him. Rotoguys.com has him at .306-15-59, but this is only in 418 AB's. If he plays some at 1st and DH and his AB's go over 500, he could be a top 1 catcher. Trying to stay realistic, top 5 is very possible for him. Take a chance on him earlier than the mocks have him going. I wouldn't mind being on his train when it leaves the station.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:32 am

Erboes wrote:My associate, Tribe-fan, has got it right. The adjustment period for him was last season so he should hit the ground running this season. And let's get something clear. Mauer hasn't displayed power, Martinez has. Mid-teens is a reasonable expectation for him. Rotoguys.com has him at .306-15-59, but this is only in 418 AB's. If he plays some at 1st and DH and his AB's go over 500, he could be a top 1 catcher. Trying to stay realistic, top 5 is very possible for him. Take a chance on him earlier than the mocks have him going. I wouldn't mind being on his train when it leaves the station.

;-D ;-D ;-D

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby McGill » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:34 am

That was me... :-D

"Watch me pull a rabbit out of the hat..."

"....Again?!!"
McGill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:11 am

I don't know why but for some reason the really hyped young catchers fall flat on their faces and the veteran catchers have big years out of nowhere.

People used to waste early draft picks on Toby Hall and Ben Petrick when it was late pick (or waiver wire pick ups) Javy Lopez and Greg Myers who were doing all the damage.

Late pick only in a keeper league if you can afford to waste it.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Tribe-Fan » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:37 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't know why but for some reason the really hyped young catchers fall flat on their faces and the veteran catchers have big years out of nowhere.

People used to waste early draft picks on Toby Hall and Ben Petrick when it was late pick (or waiver wire pick ups) Javy Lopez and Greg Myers who were doing all the damage.

I don't know, back in 1993 I "wasted" an earlier pick on a guy named Piazza, and was about laughed out of the draft room. Of course the league then spent the next 5 years trying to pry the guy away from me.

I am not saying Martinez will be Piazza this year, that is a real reach, but I also don't think Hall or Petrick have consecutive minor league MVP honors under their belt either. This one looks like he will be special, and the worth of a great hitting catcher in what always has been the most scarce position is too much to pass until a late round "waste" pick.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:22 pm

Tribe-Fan wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I don't know why but for some reason the really hyped young catchers fall flat on their faces and the veteran catchers have big years out of nowhere.

I don't know, back in 1993 I "wasted" an earlier pick on a guy named Piazza, and was about laughed out of the draft room. Of course the league then spent the next 5 years trying to pry the guy away from me.

I am not saying Martinez will be Piazza this year, that is a real reach, but I also don't think Hall or Petrick have consecutive minor league MVP honors under their belt either. This one looks like he will be special, and the worth of a great hitting catcher in what always has been the most scarce position is too much to pass until a late round "waste" pick.

You got laughed out of the draft room because Piazza wasn't a hyped young catcher. He was drafted as a late round favour to Lasorda. Which was exactly my point, you are just as likely to hit it lucky with an unknown like Piazza or a veteran like Greg Myers.

The same year that Martinez was the MVP of the Carolina League, Toby Hall was MVP of the AAA International league. Don't place too much stock in minor league awards.

A young catcher's first priority is defence. If Martinez can do that then he can focus on hitting.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers