Victor Martinez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Victor Martinez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Victor Martinez

Postby TownDrunk » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:46 pm

I was wondering what some of your thoughts are on this kid for the upcoming season and as well as future seasons.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:49 pm

I think he's going to be very good. Could be a top ten catcher this year, moving into top 5 in a year or two after that.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby baseball genius » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:52 pm

From what I've heard he hits for a high average but not that much power. He has a chance to hit 290-300 this year, and should keep improving with experience.

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tddf30 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:55 pm

I feel he will evetually be a very good baseball player but as for this season he will still be moderate
tddf30
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mjr » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:08 am

Minor league history shows it takes Martinez a little time to adjust to the next level, but once he does look out. For this year expect moderate HR and RBI totals with a good average. Next year and beyond is when he learns to drive the ball and develop his power.
mjr
T-Ball Trainer

Postby TownDrunk » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:18 am

Thanks for your replies.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby kentx12 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:36 am

tddf30 wrote:I feel he will evetually be a very good baseball player but as for this season he will still be moderate

I agree. IMO it will be another year or 2 before he really starts to stand out.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby trevisc » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:57 am

baseball genius wrote:From what I've heard he hits for a high average but not that much power. He has a chance to hit 290-300 this year, and should keep improving with experience.

yeah..I predict around .280-.290 for him. maybe 9-10 homers
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Tribe-Fan » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:24 am

mjr wrote:Minor league history shows it takes Martinez a little time to adjust to the next level, but once he does look out. For this year expect moderate HR and RBI totals with a good average. Next year and beyond is when he learns to drive the ball and develop his power.

The adjust comment is right on, but he is a damn quick study. He won the batting title and MVP in A ball in 2001, he won the batting title and MVP in AA in 2002. In 2003 he started slow, but hit his stride and .400 in June in AAA, then was called up to the big club. He struggled again after the call up, hitting .203 in July, but finished with .368 and .344 in August and September.

Keep in mind the rumor out of Cleveland is that he will DH or play 1st a few days a week to keep his bat in the lineup, so he could put up some high AB totals for a catcher. That is just a rumor because the Tribe is a little deep (total players, not talent) at 1st and DH, but he could be the best hitter out of that bunch.

I'm not saying take him high, but i think he has the potential to move into that top 5 catcher group this year. Call it a risky prediction if you will, but with Pudge in Detroit, and Piazza and Posada getting a little long in the tooth, this kid could step right in there. The kid can hit, and not just for a catcher either. He can just flat out hit.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bsblallstr » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:20 am

Martinez has taken his time adjusting at every level, but once he has, he has torn it up at every level too. He has hit for a high average everywhere, and has hit about 20-25 HR a year, i dont think he will be quite that good in the pros, but could be a great 2nd half guy, maybe with 15 HR in the second half.
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers