Gomes-fyi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Gomes-fyi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gomes-fyi

Postby colsod01 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:40 am

just saw this on yahoo. just when I was able to pick him up.

Jul 13 Tampa Bay Devil Rays OF Jonny Gomes was given the night off, Friday, July 13, against the New York Yankees, according to the Associated Press.

Jul 8 Gomes' playing time likely will be reduced when B.J. Upton (quad) comes off the DL for the Devil Rays on Thursday as expected, the Tampa Tribune reports.
Recommendation: When Upton comes off the DL, he'll move to center field and Delmon Young will move back to right field, where Gomes has been starting of late. That'll mean Gomes will become a pinch-hitter and spot starter at either right field or DH going forward.
ANY HELP APPRECIATED

WHIR
colsod01
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gomes-fyi

Postby wildbill » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:42 pm

Here's soemthing newer from Yahoo:
Jul 14 Gomes will get the start at DH for the Devil Rays on Saturday, the Tampa Tribune reports.

Recommendation: Look for Gomes and Greg Norton to split time in the DH spot for the Rays in the short term. If that's a strict platoon, Norton would get most of the at-bats; however, if the right-handed Gomes continues his recent success against righties, he has a chance to take at-bats from Norton and maintain at least a semi-regular spot in the lineup.

I wonder who the f@#$ Greg Norton has pictures of that he keeps getting playing time despite sucking more then a 5 dollar hooker. I mean he doesn't even deserve to be wasting space on a major league roster. Maybe he has pictures of the owner participating in a donkey show or something. When healthy Gomes has showed he's far superior to Norton.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby colsod01 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:19 pm

i agree,it doesn't make sense
ANY HELP APPRECIATED

WHIR
colsod01
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pangbones » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:45 pm

wildbill wrote:I wonder who the f@#$ Greg Norton has pictures of that he keeps getting playing time despite sucking more then a 5 dollar hooker. I mean he doesn't even deserve to be wasting space on a major league roster. Maybe he has pictures of the owner participating in a donkey show or something. When healthy Gomes has showed he's far superior to Norton.

Yeah I guess this is why Tampa Bay stinks every year!! Norton is a bum, and I don't see how they can justify playing him over Gomes!!! :-?
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Little Lee » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:05 pm

Norton was in the lineup last night because he is hitting nearly .470 lifetime against Clemens. He is not in the lineup tonight. Chill boys
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:06 pm

Little Lee wrote:Norton was in the lineup last night because he is hitting nearly .470 lifetime against Clemens. He is not in the lineup tonight. Chill boys
Oh yeah? Then why is Norton in the lineup again today even though Gomes has the better career BA and OPS vs Mussina? I heard a rumor that Norton has some rather compromising photos of the manager with a goat and a midget. Not sure if it's true, but it'd explain a lot. Either that or Charlie Manuel was hired away from the Phillies and I missed the announcement.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby screwyinstlouie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 pm

excerpt from "Waiver Wired" column by Tim Dierkes 7/13/07 (rotoworld.com)

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/featur ... icle=28533

Jonny Gomes, OF, TBA – I have long been a Gomes fan, tantalized when he hit 21 HR in 348 at-bats as a rookie. After a lost 2006 that ended in shoulder surgery, Gomes seems fully recovered. He's back on that 30 HR pace (if he were to amass 550 at-bats that is). He's playing every day now after an earlier minor league stint this year. Gomes has hit .333/.370/.679 with 7 HR in 84 at-bats since June began, so pick him up already! Seriously, stop reading this and snag him. Suggested bid - AL: $20, Mixed: $8.
screwyinstlouie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:48 pm

Note to self: Take Tim Dierkes' advice with large grain of salt.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wildbill » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:16 am

Yeah it looks pretty clear after the last few days that Gomes and Norton are in a platoon just as Rotoworld said. Yahoo is saying the DRays are looking to trade Norton, but why would anyone besides the DRays want a guy still hitting .178 this late in the season?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates