Bush League Play or Smart Managing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Bush League Play or Smart Managing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Busch League Play or Smart Managing?

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:51 am

Rounders wrote:I actually have started doing the same thing. I drafted Kazmir, Willis, Burnett, Bush, and Wainwright (couldn't have gotten a crappier group of guys). I've since dropped everyone but Kazmir, and benched him. I now play Grienke in one of my 2 SP spots, and I have KRod, Putz, Embree, Corpas, and Betencourt in my other RP/P spots. I've only done this for 2 weeks now, but I took Wins (got 3 wins from these guys), Losses, Saves, ERA and WHIP, and just lost Ks.

most leagues have a higher minimum innings pitched than whatever yours is. my league is 20 ip. i think most are 10 at least. you'd probably get 10 covered every week but 20 would be a reach.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Busch League Play or Smart Managing?

Postby Rounders » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:03 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Rounders wrote:I actually have started doing the same thing. I drafted Kazmir, Willis, Burnett, Bush, and Wainwright (couldn't have gotten a crappier group of guys). I've since dropped everyone but Kazmir, and benched him. I now play Grienke in one of my 2 SP spots, and I have KRod, Putz, Embree, Corpas, and Betencourt in my other RP/P spots. I've only done this for 2 weeks now, but I took Wins (got 3 wins from these guys), Losses, Saves, ERA and WHIP, and just lost Ks.

most leagues have a higher minimum innings pitched than whatever yours is. my league is 20 ip. i think most are 10 at least. you'd probably get 10 covered every week but 20 would be a reach.

7 is the default for Yahoo h2h I believe, so that's what we play with.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Bush League Play or Smart Managing?

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Honestly? This is a problem with the way your league has been set up, and could probably be taken advantage of EVERY week, not just ASG Week.

A typical 5x5 league (R,HR,SB,RBI,AVG/W,K,SV,ERA,WHIP) has 3 average categories and 7 total categories, encouraging more play (as opposed to better play), especially on the offensive side. Thirty percent of the overall "score" is quality, as opposed to quantity.

By changing those categories in a 6x6 league to include 5 average categories (OBP,SLG,ERA,WHIP,K/9) and 1 negative category (L), your commish has actually inadvertantly encouraged less play, in favor of higher quality play. Unless he's set the minimum innings pitched much higher than the default, this is a very exploitable problem with this league. He's ballooned the quality/quantity numbers up to 50%.

In a league like this, a pitching staff consisting of only four or five premium closers would completely dominate five of the six pitching categories and still not be "punting" wins.

In fact, even after the draft has taken place and all of the closers are taken, you could still exploit this league by trading two or three good starters for another closer and then picking up a couple of top-tier MRs. As long as you've got three closers and two setup guys, you'll still get up near 12-15 innings per week. If you're in danger of missing the minimum by the end of the week you just pick up a spot starter and hope they don't kill your averages. Even if the minimum IP is 20 in a week you could still exploit this by having only two very good starters on your team and trading away the rest for closers and MR.

Not bush-league at all. This is something you should probably have been doing all year. Being aware of league scoring and finding the loopholes is generally how you win leagues, especially leagues like this. Hell, it's the entire story of the season in Fantasy Football! Owners who complain about other owners using strategies like this generally are more upset that they didn't think of it first, or that their teams aren't set up to properly exploit things like this. You can bet that if they were the ones doing it they wouldn't be complaining.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby prricci » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:17 pm

As long as its not against the rules...its OK and there is not rule against it. However, it is a bit busch league.
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nyrblue2 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:07 pm

I agree that this is just a smart move on your part. Is it really any different than sitting a SP on sunday when you already have all the categories locked up and can only lose them if the pitcher completely blows it? I've never heard anyone complain about that being done once or twice a week on saturday/sunday, so it shouldn't matter if you do it for the whole week.

As far as the issue with the ASB week being shorter than the others, I too though that it was really dumb on Yahoo's part. In some cases, you might not even get a chance to win because your starters are near the back of the rotation when play resumes. What confused me even more about this situation is that in Yahoo Fantasy Hockey H2H leagues, the week that contains the ASB or Olympics is combined to make a 10-12 (guessing on that number) day week instead of a short week. They might even do that for the week containing Christmas (not sure about that one). Why would they do it right for hockey, but not for baseball?

The answer is this: Yahoo public leagues are 12 teams. There are 22 weeks in the fantasy baseball regular season, so by making the ASB week a regular week, you play each other team in your league twice per year. Making the "super-long" week would throw an imbalance into the schedule.
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StoneColdBrown » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:21 pm

I think it's smart managing. I think a lot of people get into this whole thing of being fair and sometimes take it to the extreme. Is this fair, is that fair...that's what the rules for - to determine what's fair and/or legal. If the rules allow, I say it's your right to do whatever it takes to win (in real sports, I include the condition of not hurting people as well).
StoneColdBrown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner