Bush League Play or Smart Managing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Bush League Play or Smart Managing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bush League Play or Smart Managing?

Postby YardBirds » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:47 pm

I am in a 12 team / H2H league / (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG) (W, L, SV, ERA, Whip, K/9)

Since there are no minimum innings pitched this week, I have chosen to bench all of my starters and I am only starting K-Rod and Gregg (BN - Billingsley, Bonderman, Hudson, Marcum).

My opponent started Halladay last night at got punched in the nose with a 9 ER, 2+ Whip, and low K/9 as well as a loss. He also has no closer, as all of his have hit the DL and he was too slow to grab replacements.

So I figured, I get a save with either Gregg or KRod, which most likely will win me k/9, era, whip, sv, l, and a possible tie at W.

Is this Busch League or just good management?
Last edited by YardBirds on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Busch League Play or Smart Managing?

Postby tt1plzne1 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Smart management, IMO.
tt1plzne1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:25 pm

its good management, its called playing the matchup. Just like the Cancel theory (which I dont believe in) in fantasy football
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Boyakasha » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:46 pm

How dare you, sir! :-D The term, 'bush league' gets its origins from baseball, despite those NASCAR fans trying to take an awesome term and claim it comes from their "sport." On a baseball board, you show the proper respect! :*)

And yeah, it's totally fine to do that. ASB week is just a weird week in H2H, there's really no way to not make it weird without just killing the entire week.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby YardBirds » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Boyakasha wrote:And yeah, it's totally fine to do that. ASB week is just a weird week in H2H, there's really no way to not make it weird without just killing the entire week.

Actually I think the way to fix it would be to run two weeks together ala (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday... with the next 7 days stats) to combine for 1 superlong matchup.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:31 pm

YardBirds wrote:
Boyakasha wrote:And yeah, it's totally fine to do that. ASB week is just a weird week in H2H, there's really no way to not make it weird without just killing the entire week.

Actually I think the way to fix it would be to run two weeks together ala (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday... with the next 7 days stats) to combine for 1 superlong matchup.

i whole-heartedly agree.

yes its fine. you're just playing the matchup (and its bush league and i hate when people say it X-I ).

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby YardBirds » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
YardBirds wrote:

i whole-heartedly agree.

yes its fine. you're just playing the matchup (and its bush league and i hate when people say it X-I ).

I just always assumed that "Busch League" was less the professional... hence coming from racing? (although i hate NASCAR)
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:48 pm

wikipedia wrote:Bush league is a general term used to describe an action or thing as being amateur, inferior or crude. In a literal sense, it refers to a low quality minor-league in baseball not associated with any of the major league teams. The term originated from the state of minor-league fields that often were ringed with shrubs and bushes.

The phrase sounds similar to the NASCAR Busch Series, sometimes known as the "Busch League," since it is essentially NASCAR's minor league circuit. However, popular usage far predates the creation of this organization.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Field » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:55 pm

Not really Bush League because he could have easily done the same thing. Everyone in the league knew (or should have known) there was no innings limit so its fair game.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Rounders » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:00 pm

I actually have started doing the same thing. I drafted Kazmir, Willis, Burnett, Bush, and Wainwright (couldn't have gotten a crappier group of guys). I've since dropped everyone but Kazmir, and benched him. I now play Grienke in one of my 2 SP spots, and I have KRod, Putz, Embree, Corpas, and Betencourt in my other RP/P spots. I've only done this for 2 weeks now, but I took Wins (got 3 wins from these guys), Losses, Saves, ERA and WHIP, and just lost Ks.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner