Salty: Now an Everyday player? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Salty: Now an Everyday player?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Salty: Now an Everyday player?

Postby Cobaltred » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:14 pm

What's the deal with Salty at this point? Has he solidified himself as the 1B over Thorman? I ask because I'm getting a great deal for Mauer in a league where Salty is an FA, but I'm afraid to trade Mauer and then end up with someone terrible as my C because Salty sits. How set in stone is his job as an everyday player between C and 1B? What about the chances he or Thorman is traded?
Cobaltred
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Salty: Now an Everyday player?

Postby wildbill » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:36 pm

Variations of this question have been asked a lot lately in the ESPN chats. The ESPN experts mostly seem to think he's not quite an everyday starter yet, but that doesn't mean he won't get there. They seem to average out to thinking he'll get about 4 starts a week. Take that for what it's worth because even they can't read Bobby Cox's mind.

For example, ESPN's Tristan Cockcroft said, "[he'll have] a .285 batting average, maybe 6-8 homers, good numbers for a No. 2 catcher, nice upside, but not spectacular."
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Whisp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:32 pm

i'd say there is an 80% chance he is traded. my guess would be to the rangers. if so he'd be starting catcher and share DH with sosa.
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby denicola_dominates » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:56 pm

this guy has potential in his epic name: SALTALAMACHHIA!!! this guys a beast reallly
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:47 pm

Whisp wrote:i'd say there is an 80% chance he is traded. my guess would be to the rangers. if so he'd be starting catcher and share DH with sosa.
Just a guess or did you read something somewhere? Salty is a very cheap player for a least a few years and the Braves are very budget concious these days. Why would they think of trading this guy and for who? Tex? I would think Tex would be too expensive beyond this season considering how tight the Braves ownership is with its money.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moozzy77 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:44 pm

The braves have new ownership this year so who knows that they have planned as far as cash flow. As a bravos fan i think we should ship thorman and/or k.johnson and get a Starter (vazquez). Then we have salty at first escobar at 2nd and a better rotation. I really hope we can resign Andrew but if we lose him, Id like to see us go after Torri Hunter.
moozzy77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rentz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:20 am

Whisp wrote:i'd say there is an 80% chance he is traded. my guess would be to the rangers. if so he'd be starting catcher and share DH with sosa.

IF and thats a big IF teix gets traded to the braves for a packages including salty, he'd likely move into the starting 1B role, he might play spot duty catcher but the starting catcher is laird and they are committed to him being the starter....and he wont dh with sosa, they are unwilling to platoon sosa as it is, so they are letting jason botts sit in AAA and rake.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates