How much will Fontenot be playing?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

How much will Fontenot be playing??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much will Fontenot be playing??

Postby Buttermilk Pancake » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:46 pm

He's sitting again today, I see.

As I can only change my lineup once a week, this guy just hasn't been worth it. Does anyone know more about his situation?? Since Kinsler is on the DL I need a 2B that will start more than a handful of times a week.
Buttermilk Pancake Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How much will Fontenot be playing??

Postby Rounders » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:53 pm

Buttermilk Pancake wrote:He's sitting again today, I see.

As I can only change my lineup once a week, this guy just hasn't been worth it. Does anyone know more about his situation?? Since Kinsler is on the DL I need a 2B that will start more than a handful of times a week.

I wouldn't depend on him in a weekly league. It depends mostly on if Floyd is healthy and how Derosa and Fontenot are playing offensively. Derosa has been hitting the ball good, so he's in the lineup today - and Floyd is healthy, so he's in RF (else Derosa would play there and Fontenot would be at 2B).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Buttermilk Pancake » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Cool, thanks very much Rounders! Is DeRosa worth the pick-up?? As I said--I need someone I can depend on until Kinsler is back, or perhaps even longer.
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TDS-MN » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:20 pm

I've had both Fontenot and Theriot on my teams during the season. But I've got daily lineup changes. In a weekly lineup league, I gotta think you can do better than relying on the Cubs lineup. Not saying that the players aren't helpful, but you're right, the amount of playing time is a real concern, and I could see it biting ya in a weekly league. Good luck!
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rounders » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:48 pm

Buttermilk Pancake wrote:Cool, thanks very much Rounders! Is DeRosa worth the pick-up?? As I said--I need someone I can depend on until Kinsler is back, or perhaps even longer.

As long as he keeps playing good, he should get playing time (whether it's in RF or 2b - or giving Ramirez a day of at 3B), but I don't think he's that good. Honestly, I was disappointed when the signed him just because he had a career year last year. I'd say - if he keeps hitting like he has for the past month, he's worth a look. But, if he cools down at all, he could see his playing time greatly decrease since he would be platooning in RF with Cliff Floyd (and sometimes Jacque Jones), and at 2B with Fontenot (and sometimes Theriot). I wouldn't trust Jones, Floyd, Pagan, Derosa, Fontenot, or Theriot in a weekly transaction league. It seems that Lou has been going with the hot hand (or who he feels is swinging the bat best) since he has a lot of players to work into a few spots, so if they start off the week with a couple 0-for, they could be sitting a couple days.
Also, if the Cubs play a lefty (but they've played the least of any major league ball club), Fontenot could see himself out of the lineup.

In conclusion, I have to agree with TDS-MN that I wouldn't rely too much on the Cubs RF, 2B, SS, CF positions in a weekly transaction league. But on the other hand, you can do worse than getting 5 games out of Fontenot or Derosa.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Floyd strained his right shoulder a couple innings ago, so if it's serious, Fontenot and DeRosa could be playing almost every day. The announcers also mentioned that Lou has talked about only playing Floyd 3 or 4 days a week when he's healthy in order to keep him healthy.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ursa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:24 pm

Hey, Rounders, thanks for responding to my question about Fontenot a week or so ago. Good info. ;-D
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Buttermilk Pancake » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:21 pm

Ursa wrote:Hey, Rounders, thanks for responding to my question about Fontenot a week or so ago. Good info. ;-D

Yeah, definitely! Now I know where to go with all my Cubs questions! :-D Thanks, Rounders!
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates