David Ortiz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Ortiz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Ortiz

Postby bruuno2 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:16 am

Are there any other owners as worried as me out there? :-o :-o Are you going to wait out the storm?Your thoughts? :-? 8-o
bruuno2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: David Ortiz

Postby Rounders » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:29 am

bruuno2 wrote:Are there any other owners as worried as me out there? :-o :-o Are you going to wait out the storm?Your thoughts? :-? 8-o

I have him in 2 of my 3 leagues. I think he'll play out the year and have similar numbers in the 2nd half as he had in the 1st (power down, but hitting the ball good). He'll probably do the surgery in the offseason and be ready for next season (at least I hope so since they're both keeper leagues that I have him in).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:46 am

Of course we're all worried, but what can you really do as a Big Papi owner? Nobody is going to give you fair value for him in a trade (well, at least I doubt it anyway), so you're only real option is to just keep him plugged in the lineup each day. I read that he first tore the ligament in June of 06 against the Yankees...and he tore it up the 2nd half last year...so keep your fingers crossed!
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:48 am

David Ortiz Knee Surgery a thread about half way down the page with some info.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Fritzenhammer » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:56 am

Doesn't look good, and doesn't bode well for a big second half. As long as Papi can swing, he's valuable, but unfortunately I think we're looking at a "Little Papi" type of year until he gets fixed up.

FH
Fritzenhammer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:09 am

Fritzenhammer wrote:Doesn't look good, and doesn't bode well for a big second half. As long as Papi can swing, he's valuable, but unfortunately I think we're looking at a "Little Papi" type of year until he gets fixed up.

FH

Ortiz will be fine. I have him in my points league so the lack of HRs isn't as big a deal. I'll take 3-5 with 2 Rs and 2 RBIs any day. Reports are that he has been playing through the injury since last summer. It wasn't affecting him then and it doesn't seem to be affecting him that much now. He'll get it taken care of in the offseason.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby ab » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:25 am

A torn meniscus isn't quite as bad as it sounds, since it has the word "torn" in it. It's his right knee and he bats left-handed, so it's even less of a problem. As long as the hammy is feeling better, he'll be fine, and I would say there's a good chance he hits 20 hrs in the 2nd half. If you're in the middle of the pack or at the bottom of your league, I would say take a risk and buy low (a risk, yes, but an interesting one to take)
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates