Rocco Baldelli - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rocco Baldelli

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby justinA » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:21 pm

heres wat a Stats, Inc. scouting report says about him: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... atsId=7025

I am liking the fact he will be hitting in the 2-hole this year. Like the article says, he will be able to bunt more and that gains confidence, i.e. Luis Castillo's little hitting streak 2 years ago. Batting 3rd or 4th will come in the next years, but 2 is where he should be this year. Im realistically expecting, (not getting my hopes up cuz he's my favorite player) .296, 18 HR, 88 RBI, 100 Runs, 33 SB
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tddf30 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:28 pm

U never know how somebody is going to do that is what Fantasy Sports are for u try and put together a good team in ur mind, For instance Baldelli could have a horrible season next year

But i feel that he will break out,

I figure that the Devil Rays are becoming a bit of a speedy team with both Baldelli and Crawford and i figure the Baldelli will be more disiplined

I am figuring he will have these stats:

AVG.-.295
Hits- 200
HR-15 ( Not really a big power guy, kind of like Jeter)
Runs- 120
RBI's-85
SB-40
tddf30
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:33 pm

Anonymous wrote:I read where he thought the Devil Rays would win the East in 2004.

He was then arrested for TUI.

ahahahhaaaa

thats the gooood stuff

;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:37 pm

justinA wrote:heres wat a Stats, Inc. scouting report says about him: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... atsId=7025

That Mrs. Baldelli writes pretty well. :-D

I was telling people last year not to expect too much from Baldelli until 2004. He was pretty good last year, so he will probably stink it up just to make me look bad. :-?

I would like Rocco on my team this year, though.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:38 pm

10-15 hr

70 rbis

260 ba

20 sb

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Erboes » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:57 pm

justinA wrote:heres wat a Stats, Inc. scouting report says about him: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... atsId=7025

I am liking the fact he will be hitting in the 2-hole this year. Like the article says, he will be able to bunt more and that gains confidence, i.e. Luis Castillo's little hitting streak 2 years ago. Batting 3rd or 4th will come in the next years, but 2 is where he should be this year. Im realistically expecting, (not getting my hopes up cuz he's my favorite player) .296, 18 HR, 88 RBI, 100 Runs, 33 SB

I find it funny that there seems to be two camps -- one Baldelli and the other Crawford. Count me in the Crawford camp for the following reasons:

1) Crawford knows how to use his speed. He has a very good groudn ball to fly ball ratio and it improved the second half of last season. Baldelli still tries to hit too many homers which only hurt his BA and SB totals.

2) Crawford's numbers improved across the board the second half, including an incredible 36 SB's, which tells me that not only did he adjust to major league pitching but also felt more comfortable on the base paths. Baldelli's numbers fell in the second half and that is because I believe the pitchers stopped throwing him strikes. Unless he adjusts I will be surprised if he hits over .260.

3) The Baldelli camp points out that Crawford doesn't walk but ignore Baldelli's struggles in that department. What makes it worse for Baldelli is that he doesn't make good contact. Everyone points out Soriano as proof that Baldelli can make it with high K, low BB rates, but I think that is the exception to the rule. Can anyone think of someone with this type of ratio who has had a long baseball career? I can't think of any.

This is just my opinion by the way. There's no reason for this to turn ugly because there's no way to tell who's right until after the season starts (less than 2 months, baby!).
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby justinA » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:14 am

Well Soriano doesnt have a long career yet, but he will. So there is your example. Also, you say he "broke down" in the 2nd half?.. he still hit .270 i believe. For a rookie, .270 in the 2nd half aint bad at all. All in all, he led all rookies with 184 hits, and put together one of the best all-around rookie seasons, berroa being the ROY was a joke. Honestly, how is .287, 163 hits, 17 HR, 73 RBI, 92 runs, and 21 SB's better than .289, 184 hits, 11 HR, 78 RBI, 89 runs, and 27 SB's? Rocco has only 21 more hits than him to go along with 5 more RBI, 6 more SB, and 2 more batting points. 6 HR's more and 3 runs more should not equate to a better season. if anybody is gunna have a "sophmore slump" it will be him(berroa). He never showed any type of power in previous seasons, so his little power surge could just be an apparition.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby justinA » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:22 am

about crawford.. i just dont think he's got the raw skills to put it together. All he's got is speed. Sure he knows how to use it and props to him for that, but thats all he got. Baldelli put on 15 lbs of muscle over the off season and even at 215 now, hes still got room to grow into his 6-4 frame. Thus that translates into greater power in the coming years. Crawford has nothing to grow into or become. Sure, ok, if he steals 100, he will be a better FANTASY player, but overall.. Baldelli will be when its all said and done. Well i shouldnt say will cuz i have no clue how things will turn out. To rephrase, I believe he has the tools and the opp. to become better.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:58 am

Congratulations, Justin! How was the honeymoon? So tell me, do you two plan to have children? ;-7

Try to see this objectively, Justin. While Rocco slumped in the 2nd half and ran out of steam...

"Baldelli took himself out of the Rookie of the Year competition with a poor final two months. He hit .252 with two homers during August and September." - Rotoworld

... Crawford turned it up a notch and even seemed to improve. Now Rocco COULD have a more impressive season than Crawford this year, but please see why we feel the way we do. It's no dis' to your sweetheart.

Now I don't know about the leagues you participate in, but in my league steals are like gold. Crawford could match or even improve his SB's from last year.

As far as Berroa, the voters take things into consideration like DEFENSE, skill positions, and value to his team. Berroa had a rough start, but if I recall was phenomenal for the remainder of the season at SS:

"He was charged with 24 errors on the season, but committed just five miscues in his last 95 games." - Kansas City Infozine

Also keep in mind that the MLB players named Angel ROY over Rocco.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby justinA » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:02 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:Congratulations, Justin! How was the honeymoon? So tell me, do you two plan to have children? ;-7

Try to see this objectively, Justin. While Rocco slumped in the 2nd half and ran out of steam...

"Baldelli took himself out of the Rookie of the Year competition with a poor final two months. He hit .252 with two homers during August and September." - Rotoworld

... Crawford turned it up a notch and even seemed to improve. Now Rocco COULD have a more impressive season than Crawford this year, but please see why we feel the way we do. It's no dis' to your sweetheart.

Now I don't know about the leagues you participate in, but in my league steals are like gold. Crawford could match or even improve his SB's from last year.

As far as Berroa, the voters take things into consideration like DEFENSE, skill positions, and value to his team. Berroa had a rough start, but if I recall was phenomenal for the remainder of the season at SS:

"He was charged with 24 errors on the season, but committed just five miscues in his last 95 games." - Kansas City Infozine

Also keep in mind that the MLB players named Angel ROY over Rocco.

DEFENSE? u say it like Rocco didnt league the AL in outfield assists with 14. Hmm, thats outdoing Mondesi (has a cannon), Cameron, and others. Yea he sucks at defense. And the stats dont lie buddy. Just cuz i speak the truth doesnt mean he's my "sweetheart". Just cuz a player finishes strong doesnt mean he had a better season. Rocco's avg was above .300 until aug. 4th! and 24 errors is a disgrace for any shortstop.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers