David Ortiz Knee Surgery? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Ortiz Knee Surgery?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Ortiz Knee Surgery?

Postby sox 06 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:56 am

Jul 11 Ortiz has soreness in his right knee that will "probably" require surgery to correct, the Boston Herald reports.

Recommendation: Ortiz is expected to have an MRI performed on the knee shortly after his return to Boston from the All-Star Game to determine the cause of the soreness. “I have to talk to the doctor about it and see what they want to do about it," said Ortiz, who labeled the problem as minor. ESPN.com’s Peter Gammons quoted Ortiz Tuesday as saying about is quad and hamstring problems, “I think it’s something they’ll have to go in and fix at the end of the season. I’m trying to fight through it, but some days it isn’t easy.”
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Ortiz Knee Surgery?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:18 pm

yea i just heard this on espn express... ugh even if they do surgery at the end of the season, this means he'll probably sit more and come out early for pinch runners. i just hope they wait until the season's end and they probably have to since bosox are gonna be in the post season and all where they need ortiz. still this sux..i just traded for him and i thought it was a good buy low.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:50 pm

I just wonder why he hasn't gone on the DL all year to try and rest it. They have such a huge lead, you'd think they could afford to do it. Oh well, better be careful what I wish for (as in, the dreaded "60-day DL").
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Athrun340 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:16 pm

is this something Ortiz owners should worry about? most articles i read say that Ortiz will need a minor surgery
^^Ty Smoovethug^^
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:20 pm

He's been great with all of his numbers except home runs, which is crucial because that's the main reason I drafted him (I've griped about it numerous times in the Cafe forums, too). But the silver lining is that it hasn't affected his overall hitting, so as long as he keeps playing through it we should probably expect more of the same - I just worry whenever I hear an MRI will be done, so we'll see what that brings, I guess. I too hope they don't end up resting him more often. He's just a DH so I don't think it would be terribly strenuous on him. Then again, we have no idea what he's dealing with here, maybe it will eventually be enough to disable him, even as a DH.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:49 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:He's been great with all of his numbers except home runs, which is crucial because that's the main reason I drafted him (I've griped about it numerous times in the Cafe forums, too). But the silver lining is that it hasn't affected his overall hitting, so as long as he keeps playing through it we should probably expect more of the same - I just worry whenever I hear an MRI will be done, so we'll see what that brings, I guess. I too hope they don't end up resting him more often. He's just a DH so I don't think it would be terribly strenuous on him. Then again, we have no idea what he's dealing with here, maybe it will eventually be enough to disable him, even as a DH.

He was my first round draft pick in my points league, and although he hasn't quite lived up to the gaudy expecations I had for him, he's still the number 5 1B in my format behind only Sheffield, Morneau, Fielder, and VMart. I'd say considering he's still hitting at a near superstar level, he'll be able to fight it out through the end of this year. It seems like if he really needed the surgery badly and immediately, he wouldn't have a .314 AVG and a .990 OPS.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby ab » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:51 am

[quote="BitterDodgerFan"]yea i just heard this on espn express... ugh even if they do surgery at the end of the season, this means he'll probably sit more and come out early for pinch runners. i just hope they wait until the season's end and they probably have to since bosox are gonna be in the post season and all where they need ortiz. still this sux..i just traded for him and i thought it was a good buy low.[/quote]

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/meniscu ... niscus.htm

Ianad, but I have sustained a whole lot of sports-related injuries and have done my research. Rest doesn't do a lot of good with a meniscus tear, unless there is a lot of swelling associated with it. Ortiz is a big guy, so a torn meniscus for him means less shock absorption and lots of discomfort. It could be a long-term problem for someone like him if he doesn't have surgery (increased risk of arthritis), but in the short term it's just a painful irritation. I mentioned this in another post, but since Ortiz is a lefty and the tear is in his right knee, I think he can have a fine 2nd half - maybe even 20 hrs. I don't know the severity of it or how much pain it's causing him (only Papi knows that), but usually it's a manageable injury.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:24 pm

Yeah, after being frustrated by the drop in HR's, I've now re-adjusted my expectations for Ortiz. I would much rather that he goes 3-for-4 with a couple of doubles, runs, and RBI's than be on the DL long-term, which I had initially feared.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:55 pm

Guys, great argument. But I am concerned with long term past this year. I think if he does have surgery to fix it in the offseason how much time will he miss next season. I took him 6th overall in a favorable points system to clutch hitters. He is my UTILITY man every single week, something I do not touch. I am not too worried if he has to sit during the second half because my pitching is completely healthy and I have some great pickups off the waiver wire that made my team strong. However, I am concerned that he might miss all or 1/2 of next season, or will he be able to be back if he has surgery immediately, which I think he should, or he could end up having knee problems like Vlad and some of the other aging sluggers do. I mean he is 30 and a big guy but he has a few good years left in his legs before he starts fighting injuries. And who knows maybe he can fix this thing.

I just want someone to come by who knows what their talking about as far as past this season, what does next season look like. Does anyone dare that's in a keeper league throw him out if he's going to miss a lot of the season?

What is going to happen as far as future playing time if he does have surgery???

I have NO clue about this kind of procedure.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1943)

Postby Athrun340 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:23 pm

anyone watched baseball tonite last night? one commentator.. i dont know his name said he had the same surgery and he only missed 3 weeks.
^^Ty Smoovethug^^
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates