Ichiro 3000? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ichiro 3000?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ichiro 3000?

Postby jfg » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:35 am

Steve Phillips just made the assumption that Ichiro is going to get 3000 hits as an MLB player...it's not out of reach but it leans more to a reach than a lock. If he played until he was 40 he'd need to average 256 hits a year, 41- 217 hits, 42- 189 hits.

If he plays until 42 I could maybe see 3000 hits as an MLB player, but I still think it would be a reach since he won't be able to leg out as many singles. But, who knows, he's 33 now and still lightning fast and Kenny Lofton can still run at 39. It will be interesting to see how long he plays and see if he quasi-breaks Pete Rose's hit record. Doing that would be just about as hard as getting 3000.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ichiro 3000?

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:43 am

He is rumored to be on the verge of signing a 5 year extension so who knows??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:25 am

Thinking about how he's going to age, I'd mention a couple things:

1. Generally (all else being equal), "fast" players age better (less sharp decline) than "power" players. There was a great article on this on the Hardball times...I'd link but if you're sufficiently interested just go and search for it.

2. Ichiro keeps himself in better shape than anyone in baseball.

I think it's less of a stretch than you think. Barring injury, it's not a lock, but I say a greater than 50% chance.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:36 am

It is just crazy to think about what his numbers could have been like had he played in America his whole career.

I group him and Griffey into the same group....tremendous players which will put up HOF stats but we'll always wonder what could have been.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:56 am

He's also in the best shape of anyone in the league. He could play till he's 50 IMO
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:42 am

slomo007 wrote:It is just crazy to think about what his numbers could have been like had he played in America his whole career.

I group him and Griffey into the same group....tremendous players which will put up HOF stats but we'll always wonder what could have been.

Agreed. I also put Mantle and Williams into that group.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:06 am

History is definitely against him. Players over 40 just don't fair that well. Rose had 172 hits at age 41 and he is the only player in the last 60 years to have more than 170 hits after turning 40. Only Rose, Winfield, and Molitor have had more that 150 in that time span and they each only did so once. For Ichiro to have much of a shot he is probably going to need to be around 2500-2600 (about 1000 more hits) in the next 5 years and then hang around like Biggio did mainly to get the milestone. Certainly a possibility but trying to look 8-9 years down the road for a guy in his 30s is spotty.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby greenandgold » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:01 pm

Suzuki is in the final year of a four-year, $41 million contract and had vowed before the season to explore free agency, but reports surfaced the last two days that he is close to an extension with the Mariners for five years and nearly $100 million. He was coy after the game.

"You'll find out sometime," he said.

He continued his playful banter with the media – a horde that included about 200 Japanese reporters. Asked how many home runs he could accumulate if he tried to hit them all the time, he said: "If I was allowed to hit .220, I could probably hit 40."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlkJRSb93Nx9HRHLT0rkGGkRvLYF?slug=sh-ichiro071007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:06 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:Thinking about how he's going to age, I'd mention a couple things:

1. Generally (all else being equal), "fast" players age better (less sharp decline) than "power" players. There was a great article on this on the Hardball times...I'd link but if you're sufficiently interested just go and search for it.

2. Ichiro keeps himself in better shape than anyone in baseball.

I think it's less of a stretch than you think. Barring injury, it's not a lock, but I say a greater than 50% chance.

I agree with this. He's certainly not in 33 year old shape right now. I certainly wouldn't say it's a lock, but it's a definite possibility.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:47 pm

Ichiro played 9 years in Japan...lets just say, he averaged 200 hits/year...

that 1800 for those 9 years...In his 6.5 years in the MLB, he has 1482...

So if he had played in the MLB his whole career, he'd be sitting at 3282...which means that assuming he played at least 5-7 more years at high level baseball...it would be very likely he would retire with the most hits ever.

Same thing with Griffey...if he didn't miss 410-430 games during his stint with the Reds...I figure Griffey would be approaching, or have surpassed 700 HR's by now.

Imagine the publicity surrounding the "chase for 756." If at age 37 Griffey can hit 23 in half a year...imagine what he could have done at full health from ages 31-36...it's just a shame
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers