Where will A-Rod land? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will A-Rod land?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where will A-Rod land?

Postby citti34 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:50 pm

If the Giants acquire Arod it will be strictly for marketing purposes. Yes, the Giants have some good young pitching but that lineup is atrocious (and I'm an A's fan with an A's lineup). Oh and their bullpen, my mouth just got watery.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Seems like a lot of people think he's going to opt out to escape the psychological harm done to him in NY. I don't see how that's relevant anymore though, because he's obviously gotten over whatever mental block he's had in previous years, and the booing has completely vanished.

Sure, the NY media is still hassling him, but a player of his caliber should expect that from all news media outlets. It won't change dramatically going from, say, NY to LAA, because the expectations of a 40 HR, 300+ AVG season will still be there for the best baseball player in the league.

I'm sure he realizes this, and he also must know that if anything, he'll be bashed from the media even more for opting out because for one, he'll be viewed as greedy and going after the money, and two, he couldn't handle the NY pressure.

Even if he hadn't had such a spectacular season this year I would have believed that he would not opt out, and now, with the great season, I am absolutely certain that he is staying.

And as for the Yankee legacy comments, you can't argue that there isn't something special about being a Yankee for the simple reason that a lot of actual baseball players have claimed it as one of their reasons for joining New York. Whether you believe there is some mystique or aura about being a Yankee or don't believe in it, the people who play the game do, and that's all that matters.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:33 pm

I say he opts out regardless just to cash in. As far as where he goes, it's anyone's guess. I don't think he'll stay with the Yanks though because he's smart enough to know that the fickle fans will start booing him again the first time he goes 0-4 in the playoffs, whether he's coming off an MVP year or not.

I'm holding out hope that the M's can trade Beltre for a SP and bring ARod back but I seriously doubt it happens (stupid fans who still throw money at him when he comes to town :-P ). If I had to guess, I'd say Boston, the Cubs, or the Dodgers. I can't see the Angels paying ARod twice what they pay Vlad.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm

I heard on ESPN Radio this afternoon that the Yankees are trying to extend him midseason. I think ARod can get as much out of the Yankees in an extension as he would with going to FA, Cashman knows how much he is worth and Steinbrenner has the dough to pay for it.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:05 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I heard on ESPN Radio this afternoon that the Yankees are trying to extend him midseason. I think ARod can get as much out of the Yankees in an extension as he would with going to FA, Cashman knows how much he is worth and Steinbrenner has the dough to pay for it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2933023

I dont think he will sign an extension. I still think he opts out, get comfortable with a few teams, and force the Yankees to pony up even more.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:10 pm

and is now taking aim at a hallowed home run record owned by Roger Maris.

seriously?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:26 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
and is now taking aim at a hallowed home run record owned by Roger Maris.

seriously?

Yeah, most home runs by a Yankee I imagine.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby AdvRider » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:48 pm

citti34 wrote:If the Giants acquire Arod it will be strictly for marketing purposes. Yes, the Giants have some good young pitching but that lineup is atrocious (and I'm an A's fan with an A's lineup). Oh and their bullpen, my mouth just got watery.

There would definitely be a marketing aspect for the Giants that would pay off for years. The MLB team with one all-time HR champ, Bonds, then another, when A-Rod breaks Bonds' record. It would keep fannies in the seats fer sure.

Now if the Giants could only do something about their otherwise atrocious lineup....
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby mrkrab2003 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:58 pm

somewhere in chicago
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:09 pm

The New Yankee Stadium...the house that ARod built? :-?

As far as legacy goes, there's no real arguing that the Yankees pump of the image of their past players more than any other team. What other team has shows like "Yankeeography" or Old Timer's Day that pay tribute to the heroes of the past? The answer is no one else. While for most players this may not be a big deal, ARod cares about his image as much as anyone and NY is the single place that will have the most impact on that legacy.

While Yankee haters may choose not to believe it, the aura of the Yankees is real and thats why I think Alex stays (that and the extension they give him).
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers