Where will A-Rod land? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will A-Rod land?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where will A-Rod land?

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:31 am

blankman wrote:If he cares about his legacy, he'll stay in NY. There is something very special about "being a Yankee" and what it means to your legacy and I think he knows this. If he wants to be remembered as the greatest player in the history of the game, and not just a great player without a specific team, he'll stay in NY and go down as one of the all-time Yankee greats. He's a guy that cares a lot about his image and if he really wants to be remembered years from now and have stories told about him like Ruth and Mantle and and DiMaggio and Gehrig etc. he'll stay with the Yankees and come back in 20 years for Old Timer's Day.

Suzyn Waldman is that you?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:49 am

Arod will be remembered as a great player and perhaps the best in the game even if he comes back and joins the last place Rangers. Give me a break on the Yankee fanfare. :-*
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:56 am

nsulham wrote:
blankman wrote:If he cares about his legacy, he'll stay in NY. There is something very special about "being a Yankee" and what it means to your legacy and I think he knows this. If he wants to be remembered as the greatest player in the history of the game, and not just a great player without a specific team, he'll stay in NY and go down as one of the all-time Yankee greats. He's a guy that cares a lot about his image and if he really wants to be remembered years from now and have stories told about him like Ruth and Mantle and and DiMaggio and Gehrig etc. he'll stay with the Yankees and come back in 20 years for Old Timer's Day.

GWOODNESS GWACIAS!!! ITS WOGER CWEMENS!!!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:13 am

While its true that he's currently "hated" in Boston, don't you think its worse being booed and disliked by your OWN fanbase? With Boras in play here, there is 0.00000% chance he doesn't opt out of the contract... that said, he is definitely the type of guy who seems sensitive to his legacy and all that BS, so I can see him not wanting to be viewed as running away. I say that there will be a concerted effort to try to make everyone happy - Arod will effectively opt out, but while working out a 6 year x $30M extension.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby rib217 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:17 am

As a Yankees fan i just can't see him going anywhere else. At least until he gets a World Series win with them. The only other team i see him going to is the Angels personally
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:30 am

nsulham wrote:

I understand what all of you people that hate the Yankees and/or A-Rod are getting at here but try to be objective for a moment. If you have a great player that cares about his legacy, what better place to do it in than NY and for the Yankees?? Remember. Blinders off for this 1.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:57 am

Sorry Lo but his statement was over the top and could be construed by some as a slap in the face to other franchises. So a player will only be remembered as a great player, or the greatest, if he plays for the Yankees? Sure they have had great, legendary players in the past but it's not like he couldn't go to say the Dodgers and be remembered as a legend there.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:10 pm

I don't see A-Rod shifting back to SS, and with Aramis and Soriano recently signed to big deals, and Zambrano an issue, I don't see A-Rod putting on a Cubs uniform anytime soon.

Besides that, the Dodgers (although they do have LaRoche in the wings), Giants, and Angels all do make sense. And, I'm just going to throw this one out there, but I think even the Padres could enter the mix. KT has indicated that the team can spend up to $70-$75 million depending on the player/market. Currently at just $58 million, with $10 million from Maddux coming off the books in the offseason, I wouldn't completely count out A-Rod from playing in America's Finest City. Granted, Kouz would have to move to left, Headley would have to figure something else out, but it's still a possibility, however remote.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:30 pm

nsulham wrote:Sorry Lo but his statement was over the top and could be construed by some as a slap in the face to other franchises. So a player will only be remembered as a great player, or the greatest, if he plays for the Yankees? Sure they have had great, legendary players in the past but it's not like he couldn't go to say the Dodgers and be remembered as a legend there.

I agree that he was over the top but I am asking you to think abjectively here for a moment. If we are talking purely from a legacy standpoint, there is nowhere else that he can do that as successfully as he could on the left side of the infield in Yankee Stadium. Some other places are close. No one ever said differently.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby darb48824 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:44 pm

IMO Arod will be remembered as being a member of whatever team he breaks the HR record with if and when he does.
darb48824
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers