Where will A-Rod land? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will A-Rod land?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where will A-Rod land?

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:56 pm

I think it makes the most sense for the yankees to get him an extension of 3 or 4 years, at around 30million. The Rangers are still paying a decent part of his current contract, making him not that outrageously expensive right now. I think if he opts out the Yankees aren't going to resign him, their best shot is to extend his current contract.

EDIT: According to http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... 60040.html

Arod is making $27M per year, with the Rangers paying 7 mill of it each year.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby greenandgold » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:27 pm

If A-Rod goes to the Angels it is game over in the AL west :-o
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Unfortunately I see him playing for the Angels. :~(
I don't think he's old enough to play for the Dodgers or Giants !+)
It would be nice if new stadium money let Oakland snag him , but that's just me dreaming :*)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 pm

I think he is West Coast bound. The Angels, Giants or Dodgers will be my favorites to sign him if he does opt out. I can only pray he leaves the city of New York. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:23 pm

If he cares about his legacy, he'll stay in NY. There is something very special about "being a Yankee" and what it means to your legacy and I think he knows this. If he wants to be remembered as the greatest player in the history of the game, and not just a great player without a specific team, he'll stay in NY and go down as one of the all-time Yankee greats. He's a guy that cares a lot about his image and if he really wants to be remembered years from now and have stories told about him like Ruth and Mantle and and DiMaggio and Gehrig etc. he'll stay with the Yankees and come back in 20 years for Old Timer's Day.

I have to think the Yanks offer him an extension. Its their only shot.

And better odds that he goes to Boston? What a joke. He's absolutely hated there and if he was going to opt out its because of the environment and Boston is obviously no friendlier.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:30 pm

blankman wrote:If he cares about his legacy, he'll stay in NY. There is something very special about "being a Yankee" and what it means to your legacy and I think he knows this. If he wants to be remembered as the greatest player in the history of the game, and not just a great player without a specific team, he'll stay in NY and go down as one of the all-time Yankee greats. He's a guy that cares a lot about his image and if he really wants to be remembered years from now and have stories told about him like Ruth and Mantle and and DiMaggio and Gehrig etc. he'll stay with the Yankees and come back in 20 years for Old Timer's Day.

And better odds that he goes to Boston? What a joke. He's absolutely hated there and if he was going to opt out its because of the environment and Boston is obviously no friendlier.

Well, as long as you're being impartial. ;-7

I see what you're saying about legacy and all, but Torii Hunter just had a good statement about this - it's not about greed, it's about being smart for yourself (someone can look up the exact quote, I'm paraphrasing). Basically ARod is going to go to the team that pays him the most. At the end of the day he can worry about his "legacy" in baseball or he can worry about setting up the next six generations of his family with wealth beyond our dreams. I'm guessing he's going to take the latter approach.

Also, his agent, some dude named "Boras," may have something to say about where he goes, and usually that dude tends to like commas. Lots of commas.

So all things considered I think you're right, Blank, but for the wrong reasons.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 pm

knapplc wrote:
blankman wrote:If he cares about his legacy, he'll stay in NY. There is something very special about "being a Yankee" and what it means to your legacy and I think he knows this. If he wants to be remembered as the greatest player in the history of the game, and not just a great player without a specific team, he'll stay in NY and go down as one of the all-time Yankee greats. He's a guy that cares a lot about his image and if he really wants to be remembered years from now and have stories told about him like Ruth and Mantle and and DiMaggio and Gehrig etc. he'll stay with the Yankees and come back in 20 years for Old Timer's Day.

I see what you're saying about legacy and all, but Torii Hunter just had a good statement about this - it's not about greed, it's about being smart for yourself (someone can look up the exact quote, I'm paraphrasing). Basically ARod is going to go to the team that pays him the most. At the end of the day he can worry about his "legacy" in baseball or he can worry about setting up the next six generations of his family with wealth beyond our dreams. I'm guessing he's going to take the latter approach.

Also, his agent, some dude named "Boras," may have something to say about where he goes, and usually that dude tends to like commas. Lots of commas.

So all things considered I think you're right, Blank, but for the wrong reasons.

I'll give Arod all the commas he wants ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
And there's plenty more where that came from! ;-D :-B
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:50 am

acsguitar wrote:
Rounders wrote:
acsguitar wrote:So they are giving better odds of him going to Boston where they frickin hate him (and arod knows that) then staying in NY?

Good article :-t

I'm going Cubs as the #1 option

Depends on the new ownership of the Cubs, and how fast the new ownership takes over.

Yankees fans didn't have a problem welcoming in Damon. Fans get over quickly how much they hate a guy when he makes their team better (exception: Bonds).

Yes but I don't remember Yankees fans making pictures of Damon with male genitals on his face etc...

Was that fans or haters??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:53 am

knapplc wrote:

He added an extra homer twist but I tend to agree with pretty much everything that he said.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:02 am

If he cares about his legacy he will go to the northside of Chicago and end 100 years of suffering.\

Cuban buys the Cubs and A-Rod.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers