100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most Popular Teams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Most Popular Teams

Postby NYCBuckeye » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:05 am

Based on my observations, here would be my top 10:

1. NY Yankees - I hate them, but I admit, their fans are everywhere
2. Chicago Cubs - Not sure why, but this team is beloved in many parts of the country, Wrigley is a gem
3. Boston Red Sox - Loveable losers till a few years ago, great history, great park
4. LA Dodgers - Big market, still has old-school fans in Brooklyn and East Coast
5. St. Louis Cardinals - Classy organization, great baseball town, legendary alumni
6. NY Mets - My team, Miracle Mets of 69, the Amazing 86 team, big market, Reyes and Wright among most marketable current players
7. San Francisco Giants - See #4, plus garners a lot of Pacific Northwest NL fans
8. Atlanta Braves - Big South following, TBS helps a lot
9. Detroit Tigers - Great new ballpark, solid history, recent success, many fans in Ohio due to stinky Tribe and Reds
10. Cincinnati Reds - Haven't been good of late, but very knowledgable fans, great new park, Big Red Machine, history, etc.
NYCBuckeye
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:22 am

The Jays were actually my favorite team, in the early years of my baseball fandom, in the early 90's. (When they were winning championships of course. :-) )
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:31 am

NYCBuckeye wrote:9. Detroit Tigers - Great new ballpark, solid history, recent success, many fans in Ohio due to stinky Tribe and Reds

Stinky Tribe? Wow. There have been only 2 years in the last 6 that the Tigers have finished better than the Indians. And the Tigers had some historically bad teams in that time. Stinky Tribe? How about stinky Tigers (2006 & 07 nothwithstanding)

If the Tigers are more popular than the Indians, it's not because of fans in Ohio are being converted to them.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:32 am

ESPN has an attendance tracker. I think the best judge is the percentage of attendance for both home and away.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendanc ... asonType=2

Code: Select all
RNK  TEAM           PCT
1    Boston         89.8
2    NY Yankees     87.0
3    Chicago Cubs   85.2
4    St. Louis      84.3
5    San Francisco  83.7
6    LA Angels      80.3
7    Houston        80.0
8    NY Mets        79.0
9    Detroit        77.3
10   Philadelphia   75.9
11   LA Dodgers     75.2
12   Milwaukee      75.1
13   San Diego      74.5
14   Chicago Sox    70.5
15   Seattle        69.7
16   Cincinnati     68.5
17   Atlanta        68.1
18   Texas          67.7
19   Pittsburgh     65.1
20   Colorado       64.2
21   Oakland        63.7
22   Minnesota      63.5
23   Arizona        63.1
24   Cleveland      61.6
25   Florida        58.8
26   Toronto        58.3
27   Baltimore      58.2
28   Washington     55.5
29   Kansas City    53.0
30   Tampa Bay      48.0
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:40 am

Great posts by NYCBuckeye and Rounders. ;-D ;-D

Rounders, does ESPN's tracker show a percentage increase that teams give to other ballparks when they are on the road? I had done a spreadsheet on that to settle a debate a few years back, and I recall that the Cubs, Sox and Yankees (not necessarily in that order) were the top three in increasing attendance in their road games over the home team’s average. Basically, when either of those three teams came to town attendance would measurably increase, and moreso than other teams like St. Louis (I was debating this with Cards fans), the White Sox, Angels, etc. I would equate that to some pretty strong popularity, but that’s just me.

NYCBuckeye, I would agree with your top ten for the most part. Good job. I think your top five is spot-on, and the only thing I would change is maybe moving Atlanta higher. All those division titles and TBS really boosted their appeal across the nation.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby byfrcp » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:06 pm

Rounders wrote:ESPN has an attendance tracker. I think the best judge is the percentage of attendance for both home and away.

RNK  TEAM           PCT
1    Boston         89.8
2    NY Yankees     87.0
3    Chicago Cubs   85.2
4    St. Louis      84.3
5    San Francisco  83.7
6    LA Angels      80.3
7    Houston        80.0
8    NY Mets        79.0
9    Detroit        77.3
10   Philadelphia   75.9
11   LA Dodgers     75.2
12   Milwaukee      75.1
13   San Diego      74.5
14   Chicago Sox    70.5
15   Seattle        69.7
16   Cincinnati     68.5
17   Atlanta        68.1
18   Texas          67.7
19   Pittsburgh     65.1
20   Colorado       64.2
21   Oakland        63.7
22   Minnesota      63.5
23   Arizona        63.1
24   Cleveland      61.6
25   Florida        58.8
26   Toronto        58.3
27   Baltimore      58.2
28   Washington     55.5
29   Kansas City    53.0
30   Tampa Bay      48.0

Ehh that chart needs to be weighted. Fenway has the least amount of seats for any MLB ballpark, so it's the easiest to sellout.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:28 pm

knapplc wrote:Great posts by NYCBuckeye and Rounders. ;-D ;-D

Rounders, does ESPN's tracker show a percentage increase that teams give to other ballparks when they are on the road? I had done a spreadsheet on that to settle a debate a few years back, and I recall that the Cubs, Sox and Yankees (not necessarily in that order) were the top three in increasing attendance in their road games over the home team’s average. Basically, when either of those three teams came to town attendance would measurably increase, and moreso than other teams like St. Louis (I was debating this with Cards fans), the White Sox, Angels, etc. I would equate that to some pretty strong popularity, but that’s just me.

NYCBuckeye, I would agree with your top ten for the most part. Good job. I think your top five is spot-on, and the only thing I would change is maybe moving Atlanta higher. All those division titles and TBS really boosted their appeal across the nation.

If you go to that link I posted, you can sort by Road Attendance and Road Attendance Percentage. Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and Cubs are up there this year. The Cubs were always right up there in the top 2 or 3 until last year when they were absolutely horrible (then they were 5th). I was surprised to see Colorado sitting in the 5th spot so far this year for Road Attendance.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cards05 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:37 pm

I would question this as it pertains to the Cubs. Cards have fans all over the place because Jack Buck broadcasted over KMOX (which could be heard all over the country at a time when St. Louis was the southern/western-most baseball team in the league). In fact, this is from a petition that people from the south started when the Cards left KMOX:

When you think of Cardinal Nation, you think of people from all over the midwest, south, and central plains who have been Cardinal fans all their lives.

The St. Louis Cardinals fan base covers a very large territory. St. Louis is one of the smallest baseball cities, but Busch Stadium has better attendance figures than cities that are four times larger. That is because people come from miles away to see the Cardinals.

How was Cardinal Nation built? In two ways:

1. Good quality Players.
2. The Reach of KMOX radio.

It is true that St. Louis got shortchanged when the FCC assigned AM signals. However, one station can get out beyond the rest, and that is KMOX.

When Major league baseball was an institution dominated by clubs in the north and east, the St. Louis Cardinals were the Southernmost and Westernmost ballclub. The signal of KMOX brought baseball the Cardinals to places all over the Country. People in the South, the lower midwest, and the Central plains grew up listening to Harry Caray, Jack Buck, and Mike Shannon.

Now Cardinal ownership cares more about money than reaching fans. KTRS offered the Cardinals a 50% ownership stake. The Cardinals took the bait. They hope to make more money by people sigining up for MLB audio and Sattelite Radio. Though KTRS has a great day signal, it is miniscule at night. When are most of the Cardinal games? At night.

The legacy of Cardinal Baseball and KMOX has come to an end, and fans in the South, Central Plains, and Lower midwest now hear Conservative Talk from Boston when they listen to KMOX, instead of Cardinal Baseball.

We the undersigned do not want to see the Cardinal Nation lose its national appeal. The signal of KTRS is inadequate to reach the Cardinal nation, and many of the affiliates are also too weak to serve Cardinal fans. We ask you, the St. Louis Cardinals to resume your broadcasts on KMOX.
Last edited by cards05 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:37 pm

byfrcp wrote:
Rounders wrote:ESPN has an attendance tracker. I think the best judge is the percentage of attendance for both home and away.

RNK  TEAM           PCT
1    Boston         89.8
2    NY Yankees     87.0
3    Chicago Cubs   85.2
4    St. Louis      84.3
5    San Francisco  83.7
6    LA Angels      80.3
7    Houston        80.0
8    NY Mets        79.0
9    Detroit        77.3
10   Philadelphia   75.9
11   LA Dodgers     75.2
12   Milwaukee      75.1
13   San Diego      74.5
14   Chicago Sox    70.5
15   Seattle        69.7
16   Cincinnati     68.5
17   Atlanta        68.1
18   Texas          67.7
19   Pittsburgh     65.1
20   Colorado       64.2
21   Oakland        63.7
22   Minnesota      63.5
23   Arizona        63.1
24   Cleveland      61.6
25   Florida        58.8
26   Toronto        58.3
27   Baltimore      58.2
28   Washington     55.5
29   Kansas City    53.0
30   Tampa Bay      48.0

Ehh that chart needs to be weighted. Fenway has the least amount of seats for any MLB ballpark, so it's the easiest to sellout.

Yes, this does change things since they're #10 in AVG home attendance, but they are also #1 in AVG road attendance (by over 2000 fans over the Yankees). They're overall (home and rode) AVG attendance is #4 (400 behind St. Louis, and almost 7000 back of New York). But based on the attendance numbers, I think it's fairly clear that the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and Cubs (maybe in that order) are the teams that are most followed teams when they're on the road. The Mets get hurt in their home PCT because the size of their park (they're #3 in AVG attendance, but only #14 in PCT).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:42 pm

cards05 wrote:

I would question this. Cards have fans all over the place because Jack Buck broadcasted over KMOX (which could be heard all over the country at a time when St. Louis was the southern/western-most baseball team in the league). In fact, this is from a petition that people from the south started when the Cards left KMOX:

Their Average Road Attendance is #10, and their Percentage of Attendance on the road is #7. The Cubs are #4 in both, and they play a very similar schedule, so they're in a lot of the same ballparks (The Yankees are #3 and #1, and the Red Sox are #1 and #2, respectively).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers