Questec - The Remix - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Questec - The Remix

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Questec - The Remix

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:25 pm

In an effort to get all the umpires to have a consistent (rather than their own) strike zone, MLB has put a Questec system in a dozen ballparks. Using cameras and triangulation, this system can call a consistent zone. It is used to evaluate and instruct the men in blue. Why don’t they just make it easier and better for the umps and the hitters and pitchers by just using the technology to call the game? An umpire could have a buzzer in each back pocket and if he gets buzzed on the left, it’s a ball. If he feels it on the right, it’s a strike. The homeplate umpire would still have a lot of other calls to make and the umpires would still have to call “ball” or “strike” on checked swings.

Generally speaking, I am against using replays to make calls in all sports. My preference is to make the call and get on with the game. But, I get so mad watching baseball that I would favor using technology, if the system was proven to be accurate, because it would be fair to both hitters and pitchers and wouldn’t affect the flow of the game.

Larry Dierker | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Questec - The Remix

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:40 pm

I agree. The strike zone is the heart of the game. If the technology was near-perfect then that would be fantastic ;-D ;-D ;-D .
I absolutely loathe replays. We have them in rugby union and rugby league , and they are now using them for foul play/punch ups. What a waste of time! Get on with the game limp-wristed girls! There should be no replays ever for anything in the game.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Field » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:48 pm

I don't really like the idea, I think it takes a lot of the fun/controversy out of the game. It's fun to debate whether a pitch was a ball or strike at home when watching a game, especially when they show where the pitch was actually located on K-zone. Having the human discretionary element keeps the game lively and interesting.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:23 pm

Field wrote:I don't really like the idea, I think it takes a lot of the fun/controversy out of the game. It's fun to debate whether a pitch was a ball or strike at home when watching a game, especially when they show where the pitch was actually located on K-zone. Having the human discretionary element keeps the game lively and interesting.

I would actually like to see the strike zone taken out of the umps hands...let questec take care of it. A strike should be consistent and the same each game. That is the fantasy baseball in me talking.

If they didn't computerize the strike zone, I would at a minimum like to see is the camera angle from behind the pitcher straight on...every time. I hate the angled view that most if not all games are shown.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:58 pm

Philliebuster wrote:
Field wrote:I don't really like the idea, I think it takes a lot of the fun/controversy out of the game. It's fun to debate whether a pitch was a ball or strike at home when watching a game, especially when they show where the pitch was actually located on K-zone. Having the human discretionary element keeps the game lively and interesting.

I would actually like to see the strike zone taken out of the umps hands...let questec take care of it. A strike should be consistent and the same each game. That is the fantasy baseball in me talking.

If they didn't computerize the strike zone, I would at a minimum like to see is the camera angle from behind the pitcher straight on...every time. I hate the angled view that most if not all games are shown.

Greg Maddux would start crying if Questec took over the ball and strike calling... :-b
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:03 pm

haha how about a system like tennis where if the player feels the officials made a wrong call, he can use one of his challenges to see if the machine can overturn it. give the team a few challenges for the game and umps will start being more consistent because it's embarrassing to have their mistakes turned over by machines.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby greenandgold » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:31 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:haha how about a system like tennis where if the player feels the officials made a wrong call, he can use one of his challenges to see if the machine can overturn it. give the team a few challenges for the game and umps will start being more consistent because it's embarrassing to have their mistakes turned over by machines.

The machine can still make mistakes, just ask Federer...

I think having the ump in total control of the strike zone makes the game much more interesting and keeps the pace of the game moving. I couldn't imagine how much things would slow down if they had consult with a computer every at bat. If the ump is consistent I don't see ANY problem with a strike zone just a little lower or a little larger or whatever, constancy is the most important thing.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:26 am

Part of the allure of baseball is the variations. Stadium sizes (walls, foul grounds, depths), stadium temperatures, and also umpire's strike zones. Part of the criticism of baseball is that it's too boring, too mechanical. Doesn't this just add to those criticisms? Also, why not just make everything computerized? If an umpire is only there to call a player out at a base and if a ball is foul why not use technology for that as well? If your doing if for balls and strikes, the most important part the umpires jobs, why not just replace the umpires altogether? I think this is a horrible idea.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:10 pm

jfg wrote:Part of the allure of baseball is the variations. Stadium sizes (walls, foul grounds, depths), stadium temperatures, and also umpire's strike zones.

the strike zone is the only one of these things that has specific characteristics, and for good reason. Why are you suggesting that baseball not follow its own rules?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:28 pm

I like the game the way it is now. Lets stop trying to change every little thing for technology. And this is coming from a huge technology nerd.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers