Jack Cust: Oriole Sleeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jack Cust: Oriole Sleeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tlef316 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:57 pm

dont draft the guy. he is going to bomb this year

he went to the catholic HS in the next town over from me. This school's athletes are notorious for steroid use. i know 3 football/baseball players from the school that have been kicked off their respective college teams for steroid use. Obviously this is all second hand knowledge, but it was sort of assumed that he was juicing all through HS. Cust has already proven he cant play the field, and with the league cutting down on juicing dont be surprised to see the power numbers drop also.

i dont want to accuse the guy, but with the league getting somewhat stricter this year about roids, we fantasy players need to be on the lookout for risks. i put cust in this category.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:dude he hit 13 homeruns in 400 at bats

if you want a firstbaseman with doubles power that MIGHT hit .285 again see Overbay, Lyle

I hopped on board thinking he might be a 40 homerun guy.......well he sure didn't look like it last year

If you want him in the 20th round, go nuts

I'll just take Jeff Conine or Erubiel Durazo....

Hey, I'm sorry you got burned thinking Oriole management might give the guy a chance to play last year, but facts are facts. Cust also hit 25 doubles in those 400 ABs. Those 70 ABs in September project to 30 HRs and 50 2Bs. Now, I don't really believe Cust is going to hit that well for a full season, but Cust had a very quiet, very strong season last year.

How many HRs did Overbay have last year in close to 400 ABs?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Brendo » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:49 pm

Hey, I'm sorry you got burned thinking Oriole management might give the guy a chance to play last year, but facts are facts. Cust also hit 25 doubles in those 400 ABs. Those 70 ABs in September project to 30 HRs and 50 2Bs. Now, I don't really believe Cust is going to hit that well for a full season, but Cust had a very quiet, very strong season last year.

How many HRs did Overbay have last year in close to 400 ABs?

If we want to play the game of projecting 70 AB's over a full season, I'll trade you Kevin Maas.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cust's upside, but this is a very big year for him with the Orioles.
What would be the point of keeping him (his 3rd organization)if he has a similar season?

The same goes for shallow fantasy pools. Unless you are AL only, he remains a risk.

And for the record, in 360 AB's, Overbay hit a whopping total of 8 long ones last year (nearly tying his career high) :-o
YAHOO! RULES!!!!!
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:00 pm

I'd stay away from Cust. He was hyped up as a youngster because people thought he'd be playing for Colorado. Get somebody with more potential who is actually starting.

I think his career highlight is going to be tripping TWICE down the third base line and failing to score the tying run in the bottom of the 12th............with nobody covering home plate :~( :~( :~( <----- (from laughter)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:03 pm

LBJackal wrote:I'd stay away from Cust. He was hyped up as a youngster because people thought he'd be playing for Colorado. Get somebody with more potential who is actually starting.

I think his career highlight is going to be tripping TWICE down the third base line and failing to score the tying run in the bottom of the 12th............with nobody covering home plate :~( :~( :~( <----- (from laughter)

I'm not thinking or recommending that anybody take Cust as anything but their last pick or two in a draft, but if the Orioles do give him a shot, he has some significant upside. If I'm down to my last pick, I'm quite willing to pass on Jeff Conine's usual mediocrity that I can get from just about any waiver level player. I'd much rather take a chance on a 25 year old who posted a 293/440/526 BA/OBP/SLG as a 21 year old in AA, followed by a 278/415/525 as a 22 year old in AAA, followed by a 365/407/524 in his repeat at AAA.

What's the worse thing that can happen? After 40 games, you dump him and pick up the basic waiver player that everybody else has in that position.

On the other hand, if he does pan out, while everyone else is getting 260/330/440 out of that slot, you are getting 280/360/500. Little things like that win championships.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers