Jack Cust: Oriole Sleeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jack Cust: Oriole Sleeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jack Cust: Oriole Sleeper?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:56 pm

http://www.birdsinthebelfry.com/beattie_Q&A.htm

Thought I would post this from one of the Oriole message boards I read. The most interesting thing to me are the comments about Jack Cust. He's put up some good minor league numbers but has never been given a real shot in the majors. It sounds like the Orioles are planning on handing him the DH out of the box to see what he can do.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Brendo » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:16 am

i took him in the rookie draft last year and he was god awful....AAA and bigs (not even mentioning him falling down on the 3rd base line)

seemed like he took a step back last year....I've always heard comparisons to thome, but nothing yet.....this is probably it for him in B-more....put up or shut up
YAHOO! RULES!!!!!
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:44 am

A poor man's Russell Branyan. Do not waste your time with him.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:49 am

Anonymous wrote:A poor man's Russell Branyan. Do not waste your time with him.

lol I opened the thread ready to give my take and you topped it..................... for the record mine would have been he is kind of like Adam Dunn, only worse in the field, less power, and more strikeouts........

Are the O's really going to hand him the DH? That seems pointless to me as they have good HR sluggers, a developing good bat RBI machine in Jay Gibbons, and good speed with Hairston and Mora. Where could he possibly fit into their everyday lineup?
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jer19G » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:54 am

Bukoski77 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:A poor man's Russell Branyan. Do not waste your time with him.

lol I opened the thread ready to give my take and you topped it..................... for the record mine would have been he is kind of like Adam Dunn, only worse in the field, less power, and more strikeouts........

Are the O's really going to hand him the DH? That seems pointless to me as they have good HR sluggers, a developing good bat RBI machine in Jay Gibbons, and good speed with Hairston and Mora. Where could he possibly fit into their everyday lineup?

I guess they will try to use Gibbons consitantly at OF. Gibbons is a bad fielder though. Since Cordova and Segui are hurt I guess they have no better option than Cust.
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:12 am

Brendo wrote:i took him in the rookie draft last year and he was god awful....AAA and bigs (not even mentioning him falling down on the 3rd base line)

seemed like he took a step back last year....I've always heard comparisons to thome, but nothing yet.....this is probably it for him in B-more....put up or shut up

That's simply not true about AAA. He batted .285 with a .422 on base percentage (though his power numbers were down).

In 72 at bats with the Orioles he hit .260 with a .357 OBP and a .521 slugging percentage.

If that's god awful, give me a bunch of god awful players!

Cust is a negative on average, but if he can post a .360 OBP and a .500 slugging percentage (which is what his minor league projects to), he could be a real steal, because I don't think he'll go before round 20 in any league.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby trevisc » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:54 am

if you are interested in a guy like Cust then keep your eye out during spring training. I don't think he'll be that much of an impact with Javy stealing some games at DH from him. I just don't see Cust being a fantasy impact player this year.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby ukjohn » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:46 am

Palmeiro and Segui will be the 1B/DH, IMO
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stabone76 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:04 am

Brendo wrote:i took him in the rookie draft last year and he was god awful....AAA and bigs (not even mentioning him falling down on the 3rd base line)

Yeah, didnt colorado hve him and give up on him? If so whoever cant make it in colorado has problems
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:52 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

That's simply not true about AAA. He batted .285 with a .422 on base percentage (though his power numbers were down).

In 72 at bats with the Orioles he hit .260 with a .357 OBP and a .521 slugging percentage.

If that's god awful, give me a bunch of god awful players!

Cust is a negative on average, but if he can post a .360 OBP and a .500 slugging percentage (which is what his minor league projects to), he could be a real steal, because I don't think he'll go before round 20 in any league.

dude he hit 13 homeruns in 400 at bats

if you want a firstbaseman with doubles power that MIGHT hit .285 again see Overbay, Lyle

I hopped on board thinking he might be a 40 homerun guy.......well he sure didn't look like it last year

If you want him in the 20th round, go nuts

I'll just take Jeff Conine or Erubiel Durazo....

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers