All Star Break Predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All Star Break Predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: All Star Break Predictions

Postby arod77 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 am

I say it will be the Padres Vs. Boston in the WS.

The padres have the best pitching (starting and relief) in the BIGS!! Plus, they got some veterans (like Maddux, Wells, Trevor) to help out.

Offense is suspect but with B.Giles coming back and the addition of M.Bradley, I'd say San Diego wins their 3rd straight division and takes it to the world series.
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby darb48824 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:52 am

while they do set lines to optimize profits it generally is a good indicator as who they truely believe are favorites.

and the tigers had their chance.... and lost to the cardinals.
darb48824
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

prediction #1 - The Tigers collapse in the second half and miss the playoffs.
prediction #2- The team with home field advantage takes the NL pennant. My money is on the Padres here but if the Brewers can step up they have an awfully easy schedule in the 2nd half and they have had the best home vs road splits in the past 2 seasons of any team in baseball. I don't think either of those teams are going to be able to beat the Mets without home field advantage though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:09 pm

dillpickle wrote:So you really think Oh-Ka-Ji-Ma is better then a healthy Zumaya? Interesting. Is your second best setup man better then Miller? Is your 3rd best better then a healthy Rodney? Think you may be stretching a few things, but go for it. Sounds good to me.

Thus far, Okajima has proved to be as good as Zumaya, even when healthy. As you like to say, go to mlb.com stat page to convince yourself. As for Rodney, sure he's good and probably a bit better than what the Sox can put out there, but as I already pointed out the Sox starters go deeper than anyone else.

dillpickle wrote:What real team does the Sox lead by 10 games? The Tigers have virtually the same record. The entire AL East blows this year, so what does that 10 game East lead tell anyone. Nothing.

I didn't say it proves anything. I was merely pointing out that when you are up by 10 games, you can afford to go on cruise control a bit.

dillpickle wrote:As it relates to your great bullpen, you use the same three months that I'm judging the hitters by to judge the Sox pen (exception Paps). Of course, it is ok for you to say the Sox have a better pen based on the previous three months, but the Tigers don't have a way, way better lineup based on just those same three months. Not quite following you on this one.

Dude, your logic (and reading) skills could use some work. I already CONCEDED that the Tigers have a better bullpen.

dillpickle wrote:What Tiger hitter is going to drop off considerably? Just wondering. None of them are playing too far over their head. Of course, saying that Drew and Lugo will hit better isn't saying much. So they hit 230 instead of 200. Great.

Well, if Drew and Lugo hit their career averages, it'll be a LOT more than .230 and .200. You think Magglio is going to hit .367 in the second half? You think Granderson and Guillen are going to maintain their career year paces? They could, but its no sure bet.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby Ender » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:58 am

What Tiger hitter is going to drop off considerably?

OPS this season vs career...

Ordonez 1050 vs 866
Sheffield 970 vs 925
Polanco 815 vs 758
Guillen 969 vs 812
Thames 810 vs 806
Granderson 884 vs 809
IRod 750 vs 823

Verlander 3.14 vs 3.58
Bonderman 3.48 vs 4.57
Rogers 1.04 vs 4.17
Miller 3.31 vs 3.94
Robertson 4.92 vs 4.60

Outside the bullpen almost every single Tiger is above his career average. I don't think they keep it up.
Last edited by Ender on Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby dillpickle » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 am

Obviously, this can be argued all day and night. Fortunately, we will find out. I will just keep the name of this post handy for use at years end and I'll be sure to remind everyone of their predictions. Don't go hiding in October Sox fans.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dawgs2010 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:01 pm

Is it inconcievable that Seattle can make the playoffs? They have one of the best bullpens in baseball and with players like Beltre and Sexson usually doing better in the 2nd half I think they have a chance. Its only a matter of time until Jones is called up and Vidro is benched ehich will improve both the offense and the defence. Also they don't have any players that you would say are overperforming. Finally they have shown that they can compete with the big boys aka sweeping Boston.
dawgs2010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:20 pm

dawgs2010 wrote:Is it inconcievable that Seattle can make the playoffs? They have one of the best bullpens in baseball and with players like Beltre and Sexson usually doing better in the 2nd half I think they have a chance. Its only a matter of time until Jones is called up and Vidro is benched ehich will improve both the offense and the defence. Also they don't have any players that you would say are overperforming. Finally they have shown that they can compete with the big boys aka sweeping Boston.

Seattle being in the playoff race right now is a great story. They looked awful in April (saw them at Fenway), but sure have played awesome since. It's a tall order, but right now they are right there with Cleveland, so they do have a good shot. They really need the pitching to stay healthy though.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dillpickle » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:01 pm

How are you sox fans doing these days? Still enjoying that 15 game division lead?
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:21 am

dillpickle wrote:Obviously, this can be argued all day and night. Fortunately, we will find out. I will just keep the name of this post handy for use at years end and I'll be sure to remind everyone of their predictions. Don't go hiding in October Sox fans.

Do you still have this post (thread, actually) handy, dillpickle?
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers