All Star Break Predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All Star Break Predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

All Star Break Predictions

Postby byfrcp » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:37 pm

With the Midsummer Classic upon us it's time to make some predictions as to the rest of the MLB season.

AL East: Boston Red Sox
AL Central: Detroit Tigers
AL West: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Wild Card: Cleveland Indians

I don't see much changing in the AL, if the Yanks get hot maybe they could take the Wild Card, but it's unlikely.

NL East: Atlanta Braves
NL Central: Milwaukee Brewers
NL West: San Diego Padres
Wild Card: New York Mets

I see Atlanta just barely taking over the East and the Mets edge out the Dodgers for the Wild Card.

AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez
AL MVP Runner Up: Vladimir Guerrero

AL Cy Young: Johan Santana
AL Cy Young Runner Up: Dan Haren

AL Rookie of the Year: Daisuke Matsuzaka
AL Rookie of the Year Runner Up: Hideki Okajima

A-Rod will have too many more HR than Vladdy for the MVP voters to look into the team standings very hard. 20 Wins from a Rookie is going to be impossible for the voters to pass up for ROY.

NL MVP: Prince Fielder
NL MVP Runner Up: Chipper Jones

NL Cy Young: Jake Peavy
NL Cy Young Runner Up: Cole Hamels

NL Rookie of the Year: Ryan Braun
NL Rookie of the Year Runner Up: Hunter Pence

Prince will lead the Brewers to the Central Division and be an obvious choice for the MVP, edging out Chipper who has a big 2nd half to help the Braves overtake the Mets.

Red Sox def. Indians (3-2)
Tigers def. Angels (3-1)
Mets def. Padres (3-2)
Braves def. Brewers (3-2)

Tigers def. Red Sox (4-2)
Mets def. Braves (4-2)

Tigers def. Mets (4-2)
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: All Star Break Predictions

Postby darb48824 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:11 pm

In a best of 7 series i dont see the tigers beating the red sox with a healthy staff.
darb48824
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dillpickle » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:10 pm

darb48824 wrote:In a best of 7 series i dont see the tigers beating the red sox with a healthy staff.

This is a funny post. If you are talking healty staffs, then the Tigers would have a considerable edge in pitching staffs in a seven game series. They’d have a completely healthy Rogers, Robertson, Zumaya, and Rodney (all of which are currently on or have spent a good amount of time on the DL). Miller would go to the pen and their four starters would be Verlander, Rogers, Bonderman, and Robertson with Miller, Zumaya, Rodney, and Jones among others in the pen. I realize a healthy Schilling, Beckett, and Zuki are good, but who the hell would be the fourth unless you plan on short rest, which would give the Tigers a big edge there because they easily go four deep if not a complete five deep (if they elect to keep Miller in the rotation).

Not to mention the fact that Jones even pitched three scoreless against the Sox “National League” Lineup (many NL pitchers are better hitters then Lugo).
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:30 pm

dillpickle wrote:
darb48824 wrote:In a best of 7 series i dont see the tigers beating the red sox with a healthy staff.

This is a funny post. If you are talking healty staffs, then the Tigers would have a considerable edge in pitching staffs in a seven game series. They’d have a completely healthy Rogers, Robertson, Zumaya, and Rodney (all of which are currently on or have spent a good amount of time on the DL). Miller would go to the pen and their four starters would be Verlander, Rogers, Bonderman, and Robertson with Miller, Zumaya, Rodney, and Jones among others in the pen. I realize a healthy Schilling, Beckett, and Zuki are good, but who the hell would be the fourth unless you plan on short rest, which would give the Tigers a big edge there because they easily go four deep if not a complete five deep (if they elect to keep Miller in the rotation).

Considerable edge? Is that Nate Robertson of the career 6.42 ERA against the BoSox, and Kenny Rogers of the 4.81 ERA against the BoSox? I'll take my chances with Wakefield over either of them. Offenses are a wash overall, and granted that Detroit's pen would be a bit better, but I'd still rather have Papelbon and company over Todd Jones and company. Pitching Edge: Sox.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby darb48824 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:43 pm

Not to mention .......

Post season numbers:

Schilling 2.06 era in 109.1 ip
Beckett 2.11 ERA in 42.2
Dice K - getting better as the season goes along and has some big game exp. in his career.
Wakefields era in postseason is pretty bad i will give you that but with the sox bats he can win some games.
Verlander 5.82 era in 21.2 ip

Rogers 4.15 era in 43.1 ip (and by the way this includes 23 ip without an ER last year. and i wont revisit the smudge on his hand)
Robertson 5.17 era in 15.2 ip.

add in OKIe and Papelbon and its practically a 7 inning game.

and isnt zumaya their best reliever coming off a pretty significant injury to his pitching hand. I think the Sox will be very difficult to beat this post season this year. and det and bos offense is pretty equal imo. Manny, Ortiz, Drew, and Lugo are all struggling and performing far below their career avgs. If they can turn it around in the least the World Series will be a walk in the park for the Sox.
darb48824
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dillpickle » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:48 pm

How did that bullpen do the past weekend? I know Schilling is hurt, but your main setup guy (Okayldkjfalskfdjdaskfjds or whatever) and Paps didn't fair too well. I also get a kick out of you saying their offenses are a wash. Go check the team stats on MLB for viewing pleasure and valid information. Rogers has had a long career. Hope that career ERA you suggest doesn't punish him for some bad performances 15 years ago. Last year, he faced Boston once going 7 innings, 1 ER, 5 Hits, 1 BB, 7 K's. Didn't check Robertson's recent history versus Boston, but if you want to go career numbers, maybe the Tigers will throw Miller in as the #4 and put Robertson in the pen. What is Miller's career numbers versus the Sox? Paps is definitely better then Jones, but you have to get to the 9th with the lead for him to be of any value. Check out how Mariano Riviera faired last year in the playoffs versus the Tigers. He pitched a wopping one inning.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dillpickle » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 pm

darb48824 wrote:Not to mention .......

and isnt zumaya their best reliever coming off a pretty significant injury to his pitching hand. I think the Sox will be very difficult to beat this post season this year. and det and bos offense is pretty equal imo. Manny, Ortiz, Drew, and Lugo are all struggling and performing far below their career avgs. If they can turn it around in the least the World Series will be a walk in the park for the Sox.

I beleive you or another Sox fan was the one that originally mentioned "healthy" players. Can't use injury as an excuse when you lose especially when you lose to a team that has as many important players on the DL as the Tigers have this year. I love the use of the word "if" when we are into July. Yes, if Manny, Ortiz, Drew, and Lugo hit 250 HR's here on out, good work. Sox win unless if Sheff, Guillen, Mags, Monroe hit 355 HR's the rest of the way. Then if Verlander, Rogers, and Bonderman don't give up any runs the rest of the year, watch out. Tigers walk through the post season.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby darb48824 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:31 pm

current odds to win the World Series

Boston: 3/1
Detroit: 10/1

Cant argue with Vegas they put more thought into this process that any one can imagine.
darb48824
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:43 pm

dillpickle wrote:How did that bullpen do the past weekend? I know Schilling is hurt, but your main setup guy (Okayldkjfalskfdjdaskfjds or whatever) and Paps didn't fair too well. I also get a kick out of you saying their offenses are a wash. Go check the team stats on MLB for viewing pleasure and valid information. Rogers has had a long career. Hope that career ERA you suggest doesn't punish him for some bad performances 15 years ago. Last year, he faced Boston once going 7 innings, 1 ER, 5 Hits, 1 BB, 7 K's. Didn't check Robertson's recent history versus Boston, but if you want to go career numbers, maybe the Tigers will throw Miller in as the #4 and put Robertson in the pen. What is Miller's career numbers versus the Sox? Paps is definitely better then Jones, but you have to get to the 9th with the lead for him to be of any value. Check out how Mariano Riviera faired last year in the playoffs versus the Tigers. He pitched a wopping one inning.

I hope you're not punishing the Sox bullpen (or team for that matter) for one bad weekend as they cruised into the Allstar break with a double digit lead, are you?

So you're saying that Rogers throwing a 7 IP, 1 ER gem against the Sox last year IMPROVED his career ERA to 4.81? Sorry - thanks for the correction.

I actually agree with the Miller assessment - I'd put him in over Robertson in a heartbeat. But that's not what I was responding to. You seem to have this belief that Robertson is better than the Sox 4th, 5th, or even 6th starters. He's not.

It's Oh-Ka-Ji-Ma. Not really that hard.

Why can't the Sox get to Papelbon? They have 4 starters who can easily get into the 8th inning (Sox lead the league in fewest bullpen innings pitched by far) so you are talking about an all star closer, an all star set up guy, and then you mix and match with the rest of the guys. I'll take the Sox pen over the Detroit pen, no questions asked.

As for the Sox offense, granted - you can look at 3 months of stats and conclude that Detroit is better if you want... I myself choose to believe that Papi, Manny, Drew and yes - even Lugo - will hit much better in the second half. The question is whether Youk and Lowell can repeat their first halves.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Predictions:
AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Tigers
AL West: Angels
AL Wildcard: Indians
Red Sox beat Indians in 4, Tigers beat Angels in 5, Red Sox beat Tigers in 6.

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Brewers
NL West: Padres
NL Wildcard: Braves
Padres beat Braves in 4, Brewers beat Mets in 5, Padres beat Brewers in 7.

Red Sox beat Padres in 6.

AL MVP: Magglio Ordonez (A-Rod runner up)
NL MVP: Prince Fielder (Holliday runner up)
AL Cy Young: Johan Santana (just don't think Haren can keep up this pace all year... Verlander and Beckett close too - good race)
NL Cy Young: Jake Peavy (Chris Young runner up)
AL ROY: Dice-K
NL ROY: Ryan Braun
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers