Iphone or xbox 360 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Iphone or xbox 360

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:55 am

Yoda wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Yoda wrote:
So how do you explain iPods and iPhones selling like hotcakes then genius? Love to hear your explanation since you are such an expert in that arena.


marketing


Right it is all marketing and has nothing to with a well made product.


where did i say it has nothing to do with the product? good product + great marketing outsells good product with little or no marketing.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3766
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:02 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Yoda wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:marketing


Right it is all marketing and has nothing to with a well made product.


where did i say it has nothing to do with the product? good product + great marketing outsells good product with little or no marketing.


You just said marketing and I quoted you. Nothing about a good product. Which also makes me wonder why you want to get an iPhone if it is so inferior to other phones out there.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:10 am

good product + good marketing > good product + no marketing
good product cancels each other out. whats the difference? marketing. forgive me for not stating what i thought was the obvious.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3766
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:20 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:good product + good marketing > good product + no marketing
good product cancels each other out. whats the difference? marketing. forgive me for not stating what i thought was the obvious.


Thanks for clarifying.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:55 am

hot sales and market share arent everything. if they were, this graph would make you sad:

Image

that PC is sitting at 90% or whatever the exact number is doesn't mean it is a clearly superior product. it doesnt even mean its a good product. market share means they have succeeded in advertising, producing lower cost machines, filling market areas that apple doesnt care about, etc. ipod is a good product. so is the gigabeat. i cant say i've ever seen an advertisement for the gigabeat. its no wonder they are getting trounced by ipod in market share.


i'm sorry i got confused about what the iphone is supposed to be. if you google "iphone" and "feature rich" you will get a good idea of why i was under that impression. the exact words may not have come out of jobso's mouth, but you couldnt visit a tech site the last six months without hearing about the 'feature rich' iphone.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3766
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:15 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:hot sales and market share arent everything. if they were, this graph would make you sad:

Image

that PC is sitting at 90% or whatever the exact number is doesn't mean it is a clearly superior product. it doesnt even mean its a good product. market share means they have succeeded in advertising, producing lower cost machines, filling market areas that apple doesnt care about, etc. ipod is a good product. so is the gigabeat. i cant say i've ever seen an advertisement for the gigabeat. its no wonder they are getting trounced by ipod in market share.


i'm sorry i got confused about what the iphone is supposed to be. if you google "iphone" and "feature rich" you will get a good idea of why i was under that impression. the exact words may not have come out of jobso's mouth, but you couldnt visit a tech site the last six months without hearing about the 'feature rich' iphone.


I haven't touched an iPhone so I will reserve my judgement until I do but it is supposed to be a phone, an iPod, camera and a web-browser from what I've seen. If it does those things well then I couldn't care less about the other 'features' you claim it lacks. But anyway.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby tuff_gong » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:38 am

Halo 3 looks pretty sweet...there's a reason to buy a 360.
Image

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 14th and Ohio

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:56 pm

This game will probably force me to pick up an XBox or a PS3:

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby talan37 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:04 pm

Yoda, I think his point is this. As you put it, it is supposed to be a phone, camera, ipod, and web browser, but there are phones that already do that, albeit in different "non-apple" forms. Every commercial, add, and ifanboy review declared it the best thing since sliced bread with all this cool "new" features. The fact is the only new thing is the voice email, and the touch screen(which is admittedly cool), but in every other way its lacking a lot of very important smartphone features, runs on a slower network, as well as many many other things.

If you read the gizmodo review someone posted you have a good idea about this thing, to me at this point its like a concept car, lots of great potential, but the current implementation is more hype than function.

Hearing non-tech people talk about this phone makes me want to cry, its as if they have no idea that other such devices exist, and apple just invented this totally new thing called a smart phone.

As to the Ipod vs other mp3 players, I have used several from different manufacturers and happen to like Creative the best, my personal opinion that Ipod does so well is marketing, and the "cool" factor. Its not cool to have a Sansa, its cool to have a Nano, and in the 15-25 range(which is the primary market for this product) thats a HUGE sale factor.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 316
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Iphone or xbox 360

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:23 pm

talan37 wrote:Yoda, I think his point is this. As you put it, it is supposed to be a phone, camera, ipod, and web browser, but there are phones that already do that, albeit in different "non-apple" forms. Every commercial, add, and ifanboy review declared it the best thing since sliced bread with all this cool "new" features. The fact is the only new thing is the voice email, and the touch screen(which is admittedly cool), but in every other way its lacking a lot of very important smartphone features, runs on a slower network, as well as many many other things.

If you read the gizmodo review someone posted you have a good idea about this thing, to me at this point its like a concept car, lots of great potential, but the current implementation is more hype than function.

Hearing non-tech people talk about this phone makes me want to cry, its as if they have no idea that other such devices exist, and apple just invented this totally new thing called a smart phone.

As to the Ipod vs other mp3 players, I have used several from different manufacturers and happen to like Creative the best, my personal opinion that Ipod does so well is marketing, and the "cool" factor. Its not cool to have a Sansa, its cool to have a Nano, and in the 15-25 range(which is the primary market for this product) thats a HUGE sale factor.


No trust me I get the point. There are MP3 players and phones that have more features (take a look at Zune which is loaded with features including the 'squirt'). You tech guys have to understand that most people are not as technical. If something is simple to use and works well then that is better than something which will take most people hours to figure out how to use. I have a GPS on my phone but I never use it partly because I don't think I need it and I haven't bothered to set it up.

I didn't buy an iPod due to the marketing. I needed a small MP3 player which has a lot of support (key IMO), works reasonably well and I can use it for running, in the car, plane, etc. I won't be buying an iPhone any time soon since I have VZ but if/when it does cross over, I will definitely get one. I can guarantee you that it won't be because I want to look cool or I like their advertisements.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact