Am I Crazy?....Derek Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I Crazy?....Derek Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I Crazy?....Derek Lee

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:13 pm

Jus wondering if i am out of my tree for thinking this or what! My rankings for 1st base look like this:

Pujols
Helton
Derek Lee

Im even thinking of putting Lee over Helton! crazy?
I see Lee hitting more home runs this year, around 40, and he steals bases. Or do you guys think helton jus hits too well to put him below anyone but pujols?

Do you think i should even have lee this high???
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Am I Crazy?....Derek Lee

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:18 pm

RynMan wrote:Jus wondering if i am out of my tree for thinking this or what! My rankings for 1st base look like this:

Pujols
Helton
Derek Lee

Im even thinking of putting Lee over Helton! crazy?
I see Lee hitting more home runs this year, around 40, and he steals bases. Or do you guys think helton jus hits too well to put him below anyone but pujols?

Do you think i should even have lee this high???

It depends. Did you think of these?:

1) Lee probably won't come close to last season's SB totals.

2) Lee will probably get clobbered by Helton in average, runs, and RBI's.

3) Lee may only be equal to Helton in HR's.

4) Lee has no one hitting in front of him that will consistently be on base for him, which will limit him in his RBI totals.

Other than those, I don't think you're crazy at all.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lee

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:22 pm

I have Lee in my keeper league. He will do better with the Cubs, on an equal with Bagwell. But he still K's too much to be on Helton's level.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Tribe-Fan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:27 pm

Lee gets a lot of good hype on here, some warranted, some not.

The last 4 years, he has hit 28-21-27-31 HR's. I've seen many people say he will hit 40 this year. I suppose the move to Wrigley is a plus, and at 28 he is entering his peak, but a 10 HR jump over anything he has ever done? I don't think that is as much a lock as many on here say it is.

Plus I don't see him stealing 20 bags this year either. He stole 10 of his 21 in April last year, when even the mascot was getting a couple a week under Torborg. After April, he averaged 2 a month, which would be 12 a season, about where I expect him next year. I think it would be wise to estimate 30-34 HR and 8-12 SB, and those are not numbers worthy a 3rd place ranking at 1B.

To rank Lee above Thome, Giambi, Sexson, Delgado, and maybe even Bagwell is a reach in my opinion.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:28 pm

I am thinking that Jay payton leavin the Rockies will hurt heltons RBI's, or didnt payton hit before helton?

And i read on MLB.com that there is no real reason to believe Lee's steals will go down, as Dusty Baker will let you run if you have speed.

As for who will hit in front of him, i see him hitting maybe 5 or 6

patterson
grudzelanik
sosa
alou
ramirez
lee

You dont think those guys will be on base? hmmm, i dunno.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:32 pm

None of those players hitting in front of him walk except for Alou, and he's about finished. Even Sosa has abandoned that part of his game in pursuit of home runs. None of the players hitting behind him walk much either. I don't like the way this team looks at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they score fewer runs this season then last.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djacks » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:36 pm

Is this an NL-only league? If so then your not that far off...a little but not far...

If its not NL-only, then you're flat out retarded... :-B

No way you should rank D.Lee ahead of Delgado, or even Giambi IMO...

Everyone keeps projecting out of the world numbers for Lee, but why? I don't get it...we're talking about a guy who has only hit over 30 HR's once in his career (31 last year) and has never had 100 rbi in a season...and that was with Pierre, Castillo, and Lowell in front of him last year!!! Yes he's only 28, and he hits in Wrigley now instead of ProPlayer...but Wrigley is NOT that great of hitters park...last stats I saw pointed to a neutral park, not the hitters park everyone thinks it is...

Is he a good option at 1B...you bet! But no way he's top three...even in NL-only...I'd rank him 5th in NL-only, a couple of spots lower in MLB.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tribe-Fan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:37 pm

djacks wrote:Is this an NL-only league? If so then your not that far off...a little but not far...

If its not NL-only, then you're flat out retarded... :-B

No way you should rank D.Lee ahead of Delgado, or even Giambi IMO...

Everyone keeps projecting out of the world numbers for Lee, but why? I don't get it...we're talking about a guy who has only hit over 30 HR's once in his career (31 last year) and has never had 100 rbi in a season...and that was with Pierre, Castillo, and Lowell in front of him last year!!! Yes he's only 28, and he hits in Wrigley now instead of ProPlayer...but Wrigley is NOT that great of hitters park...last stats I saw pointed to a neutral park, not the hitters park everyone thinks it is...

Is he a good option at 1B...you bet! But no way he's top three...even in NL-only...I'd rank him 5th in NL-only, a couple of spots lower in MLB.

Very well said.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby djacks » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:38 pm

To rank Lee above Thome, Giambi, Sexson, Delgado, and maybe even Bagwell is a reach in my opinion.

I agree with this list...although I would probably draft Lee ahead of Bagwell...[/quote]
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:49 pm

i agree. thanks for the tips, and yeah i guess i was retarded for thinkin it :) the points you guys have brought up are extremely valid and make alot of sense. So tell me one other thing, how do u think the move will affect richie sexson? he is now hitting in a dome for a contending team.....u see him doing well this year?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers