Why does Atlanta insist on having Wickman as their closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Why does Atlanta insist on having Wickman as their closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why does Atlanta insist on having Wickman as their closer?

Postby Back_Back_Back_Gone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 am

Let me tell you something. My grandpa noticed this. It was "halfway" mentioned earlier, but something you must bear in mind. Ever since he's came off the DL he struggled. Before that he was pretty solid. I heard Don Sutton talking about his mechanics and how his pitches were coming in at the same angle and being left over the plate. Yes he's a big guy but he's been successful. However, I noticed he had one off year with a team he played before with and was down for about 2-3 weeks before he got his problem corrected, when he did, he went on a streak of 18.0 IP without allowing a run and only 2 baserunners. He fixed his mechanics, but tweaked his back a little bit stretching for a high bouncing groundball that was over his head. And that put him down for having a successful season. Here's the thing, he can come back once from being hurt, but if he gets nicked up again, history supports that it will be time to cut him.

I for one feel Soriano is younger, has better stuff, and probably will make a solid closer. Although, he's experienced with setup roles and thrived in it. I know I may regret saying this, but I think he's served best where he is at.

Something you also need to know: Bobby Cox is one of the best managers of players in the history of the game, but sometimes makes unusual game decisions. My grandpa has watched the game of baseball for 55 years and you have to come to respect his opinion. After all, me with all the intelligence and memory and experience in fantasy, doesn't flat out relate to real experience. Example: He got the entire NL All-Star Starting roster perfectly without a single mistake. I find that to be pretty remarkable. He does, however, question Cox's game management from time-to-time. Quite frankly, he's got a good argument. Cox pretty much gives a player ample chances to get the ship righted. That said, Wickman will turn things around. He has also been watching film with McDowell to fix the flaw in his mechanics that is leaving his offspeed/breaking stuff (his slider) over the plate. I think the All-Star Break will do him some good to rest, stretch out, watch video and come out ready to make a good second half run.

One thing I've learned about fantasy sports is you have to be patient. Good luck.
Back_Back_Back_Gone Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates