Why does Atlanta insist on having Wickman as their closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Why does Atlanta insist on having Wickman as their closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why does Atlanta insist on having Wickman as their closer?

Postby BronxBomber2007 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:00 am

The guy is grossly overweight and can hardly move....he throws basically the same pitch pretty much over and over again from the same angle. He got lucky tonight with the called 3rd strike on Marcus Giles...otherwise he would have most likely blown a 4 run lead in less than one inning....it looked like batting practice for the Padres. Soriano is so much better suited to be the closer...I dont get why he isnt.
Last edited by BronxBomber2007 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BronxBomber2007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why does Atlanta insist on having Wickman as their closer?

Postby Morel Orel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 am

I couldn't agree more, he looked like garbage :-t
My sweet sigs got the boot...
Morel Orel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Wickman is Horrendous

Postby Roberto Clemente » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 am

Today he gave up 3 E.Runs and 5 Hits to the Padres and almost blew a 4 run lead.

For the season Wickman is sporting a 4.80 Era.

On June 30th and July 1st against the Marlins, Wickman pitched 1.1 Innings and gave up 5 Hits and 4 E.Runs. Yuck!

Bobby Cox is one of the greatest managers of our time and I certainly am in no position to question him, but it appears to me that he is sticking too long with Wickman. With M.Gonzalez out you could see R.Soriano step into the closer role soon.
Roberto Clemente
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Noggy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:45 am

BronxBomber2007 wrote:Soriano is so much better suited to be the closer...I dont get why he isnt.

I can think of about 6.5 million reasons. It's going to take more than a bad half season for Wickman to lose his job.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:43 am

Noggy wrote:
BronxBomber2007 wrote:Soriano is so much better suited to be the closer...I dont get why he isnt.

I can think of about 6.5 million reasons. It's going to take more than a bad half season for Wickman to lose his job.

;-D
He was lights out for the Braves when he came over from CLE in 2006. 1.04 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP.

His Home/Away splits this year are incredible. He will have to blow a few more saves before losing his job.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 47)

Postby cwrtlm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:08 am

Soriano is sick, I guess they are waiting for Wickman to blow enough save Opps for them to fail behind in the NL East race or for Wickman to pass out from all the Burgers he is scarfing in the Pen before he comes into the game :-B
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:18 am

BravesGuy wrote:
Noggy wrote:

;-D
He was lights out for the Braves when he came over from CLE in 2006. 1.04 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP.

His Home/Away splits this year are incredible. He will have to blow a few more saves before losing his job.

Seriously....those home/away splits are ridiculous. Atlanta has a bunch of games at home coming up so we'll see if Wickman is bad...or just road bad.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Danger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Noggy wrote:

Precisely. Wickman's bad, but hasn't been bad enough for Cox to yank out of the closer's role just yet and save some face for the GM.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cymbaline » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:24 am

Wickman is obviously inferior to Soriano in most aspects, but he's experienced and *usually* gets the job done although it is often ugly.

A big factor in him closing is that he is incapable of coming into an inning with guys on base. His K ratio is historically much lower than Soriano's and therefore he can't bail a pitcher out of a jam with a swing and miss.

Therefore, Wickman is best when starting out an inning .... although Soriano would probably be just as good if not better.
cymbaline
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dubstar » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:11 pm

coming from atlanta, i agree that wickman hasnt been too sharp. my friend and i usually hold our breath when he comes in. but that being said, and like someone said above, he isnt going to lose his job for a few blown saves. he did go on the DL, so maybe something is bothering him, who knows. he was signed as our closer, and he is a closer. they arent going to demote him just like that. if it were like that, andruw would have been in AAA by now.

i still have faith in him, he was killer last year, and has been overall good this year. everyone goes through slumps in their respective roles.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates