Buehrle officially signs with the White Sox: 4 Years. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buehrle officially signs with the White Sox: 4 Years.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Buehrle officially signs with the White Sox: 4 Years.

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:11 pm

Ursa wrote:I understand your point but if I ripped myself off and still collected $14 million each year for the next four years for maybe 32 days work per year, I wouldn't be spending too much time crying about it.

Ursa are you kidding me? What a short sighted comment...32 days of work...sure.

So you think, throughout the entire year, the only time a Major League Pitcher does work is on the day he starts? I don't have any stats to back me up, but I believe that if you actually want to be more than a career minor leaguer, you have to put in more work on the days you don't pitch than the days you pitch.

Are you suggesting that pitchers spend entire off seasons doing no work? Yeah, they probably just sit around the house playing video games...I mean, to perform at the highest level in the world, at one of the most demanding positions in the sport...you don't really need to do much work at all right? Just show up every 5th day and throw the ball...c'mon man.

Maybe I reacted, but I couldn't let you take such a low blow at all the pitchers who bust their ass day in day out to perform as best they can when they take the mound.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buehrle officially signs with the White Sox: 4 Years.

Postby Ursa » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:21 pm

bceagles04 wrote:
Ursa wrote:I understand your point but if I ripped myself off and still collected $14 million each year for the next four years for maybe 32 days work per year, I wouldn't be spending too much time crying about it.

Ursa are you kidding me? What a short sighted comment...32 days of work...sure.

So you think, throughout the entire year, the only time a Major League Pitcher does work is on the day he starts? I don't have any stats to back me up, but I believe that if you actually want to be more than a career minor leaguer, you have to put in more work on the days you don't pitch than the days you pitch.

Are you suggesting that pitchers spend entire off seasons doing no work? Yeah, they probably just sit around the house playing video games...I mean, to perform at the highest level in the world, at one of the most demanding positions in the sport...you don't really need to do much work at all right? Just show up every 5th day and throw the ball...c'mon man.

Maybe I reacted, but I couldn't let you take such a low blow at all the pitchers who bust their ass day in day out to perform as best they can when they take the mound.

My fishing expedition netted a fine prize....... B-)

You're right of course, about the workdays anyway. And what they get paid is entirely a function of supply and demand, in other words, someone somewhere has to want to pay it, which is as it should be. All that said, there are a lot of us that are way behind on our vacation and working our butts off - and we don't have contracts that guarantee us the same money however long we're off (Pavano, etc). To suggest that someone who was just guaranteed $56m was ripped off (even if he ripped himself off) is to invite a gale of derisive laughter.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers