Is Hanley the #1 shortstop in fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Hanley the #1 shortstop in fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Hanley the #1 shortstop in fantasy?

Postby Melo255 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:50 am

beatdrum wrote:
BigZ38 wrote:No way Hanley is a 2nd rounder next year. You can't imagine how stoked I am that I just acquired him in a keeper league for carlos lee and bill hall

He shouldn't be, but he shouldn't have been this year either.

Hanley wasn't a first rounder this season and Reyes was for a reason. Going into this years drafts it was possible last season was somewhat of a fluke for Hanley while Reyes had put up back to back 60+ steal seasons and was improving across the board. Assuming Hanley keeps doing in the 2nd half what he has done in the 1st then the questions cease and he is a guaranteed first round pick.

Between Reyes, Hanley, Rollins, Jeter, Guillen, Tejada, Furcal, Young and a host of others shortstop has become a pretty deep position. Hanley will still be a first rounder though and most likely so will Reyes. I'd assume Rollins will be a second rounder next year but everybody's position can change dramatically over the course of the 2nd half of this season.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:17 am

I think....

I'll just wait until the END of the season. Too much baseball still to come, and right now it is just fun to sit back and watch them play.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:36 am

I'd rather have Hanley at this point. His power potential should not be ignored along with his great speed.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tf77 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 am

Hanley's emergence actually hurts both their values in terms of where they will be drafted next season. Reyes was a 1st rounder this season, because he was thought to be far and away the best shortstop out there as well as an insurance to win the steals category. But now SS is such a deep position and you only need one SS. There are at least 8 great options at SS out there, so why take a SS in the first round, when you can still pick up a great one in the 4th oder 5th or might be able to snatch the other of the two on the way back? In a regular 12-teamer there are at least 36 OFs needed. I can't name 25 outfielders right now, that I would be comfortable starting for my fantasy team. That being said I think Tier 1-OF (Vlad, Beltran, Sizemore, Holliday, Soriano, Berkman (?), Crawford (?)) should be taken ahead of both Hanley and Reyes next season as well as Pujols, A-Rod, Santana, Ortiz, Howard, Cabrera, Wright (if he keeps stealing like that) and Utley. That pushes both into the 2nd round.

What also hurts Reyes is the fact that many of the young players can hit for power AND can steal bases. Wright is a good example, Hanley and Sizemore are great examples, but also guys like Gordon, Braun, Upton, Hart and even a catcher in Russell Martin. Heck, even Gary Sheffield is once again on pace to steal more than 20 bases. Last season there was only one 30-30-guy (Soriano) and no one else really close. This season, you have Beltran, Sizemore, Soriano, Hanley, Phillips, Wright, Rollins, Byrnes with a good shot at it and a couple of other guys like Martin, Hart or even Victorino with an outside shot. That will definitely hurt the value of steals and with that the value of Reyes going into the next draft
tf77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby chipper » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 am

tf77 wrote:Hanley's emergence actually hurts both their values in terms of where they will be drafted next season. Reyes was a 1st rounder this season, because he was thought to be far and away the best shortstop out there as well as an insurance to win the steals category. But now SS is such a deep position and you only need one SS. There are at least 8 great options at SS out there, so why take a SS in the first round, when you can still pick up a great one in the 4th oder 5th or might be able to snatch the other of the two on the way back? In a regular 12-teamer there are at least 36 OFs needed. I can't name 25 outfielders right now, that I would be comfortable starting for my fantasy team. That being said I think Tier 1-OF (Vlad, Beltran, Sizemore, Holliday, Soriano, Berkman (?), Crawford (?)) should be taken ahead of both Hanley and Reyes next season as well as Pujols, A-Rod, Santana, Ortiz, Howard, Cabrera, Wright (if he keeps stealing like that) and Utley. That pushes both into the 2nd round.

What also hurts Reyes is the fact that many of the young players can hit for power AND can steal bases. Wright is a good example, Hanley and Sizemore are great examples, but also guys like Gordon, Braun, Upton, Hart and even a catcher in Russell Martin. Heck, even Gary Sheffield is once again on pace to steal more than 20 bases. Last season there was only one 30-30-guy (Soriano) and no one else really close. This season, you have Beltran, Sizemore, Soriano, Hanley, Phillips, Wright, Rollins, Byrnes with a good shot at it and a couple of other guys like Martin, Hart or even Victorino with an outside shot. That will definitely hurt the value of steals and with that the value of Reyes going into the next draft

While I agree with your thoughts on taking a couple early OF, there's no way I'd take Berkman, Crawford, Ortiz or Cabrera over either Hanley or Reyes.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tf77 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:38 am

chipper wrote:While I agree with your thoughts on taking a couple early OF, there's no way I'd take Berkman, Crawford, Ortiz or Cabrera over either Hanley or Reyes.

In a 12-teamer if I'm sitting at 11 and the 10 guys you agreed with me on are gone, I would definitely take my choice of Ortiz or Cabrera at 11 and pick up whoever is left of Hanley/Reyes at 14. This might even work at 10. That is where Hanley's emergence hurts both their values in a draft. Pure speculation at this point but fun nonetheless
tf77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guzman24 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 pm

They're both outstanding but I personally like having Reyes' extra SB's.

I would not accept a trade of Hanley straight up for Jose.

Getting 80SB's from the SS position allows me to fill out the rest of my lineup more power hitters and not have to worry too much about adding in additional speed.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby queencitysluggerr » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:02 pm

id take hanley over any other ss so far into this season..but its close so a bad 2nd half from hanley could easily change my mind
queencitysluggerr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers