Is Hanley the #1 shortstop in fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Hanley the #1 shortstop in fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:46 pm

Hanley is now the #1 ranked SS according to both Yahoo and ESPN Player Rater.

If he continues at his current pace, his stats will be: .330 AVG, .385 OBP, .539 SLG, .924 OPS, 26 HR, 130 Runs, 63 RBI, 50 SB

In the lead-off spot (a little over half his AB's), his stats are: .361 AVG, .433 OBP, .606 SLG

rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Hanley the #1 shortstop in fantasy?

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:59 pm

I certainly would understand if people took him over Reyes next year, but I personally wouldn't. Perhaps it is homerism, but I still think Reyes is the more valuable commodity. It definiely is close, but I'd rather have Reyes' 30 extra SB's than 10-15 extra HR's out of Hanley.

Also, in keeper leagues, I feel like Reyes is more likely to hold his value. With the power Hanley is developing, he should wind up a 3-hole hitter at some point, and I feel like his SB's will likely drop. He will still be a 25/25 guy, but I'd rather have 12/75 out of Reyes.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby B1leper » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:51 pm

Hanley's current and future value is enormous no matter where he bats in a line-up. If he does indeed end up in the 3-hole, he could still steal 30-40 bases while batting in 100+.

With Hanley's large frame, he should continue to hit for more and more power. IMO, he's better than Reyes right now, and could be measurably better in the future.
B1leper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:02 pm

No. Reyes is on pace for 84 SBs. Their stats should be extremely close outside of the HRs and SBs, and Reyes' SBs are more valuable than Hanley's extra HRs.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby B1leper » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:21 pm

DevilDriver wrote:No. Reyes is on pace for 84 SBs. Their stats should be extremely close outside of the HRs and SBs, and Reyes' SBs are more valuable than Hanley's extra HRs.

Using that rationale, Juan Pierre has more value than Grady Sizemore.

At their current rates, Reyes will outsteal Ramirez by 30, but Hanley will out-homer Jose by 20, and score 20 more runs (RBIs are identicle). I guess it all comes down to your league's scoring system, but in mine, a SS with 30HRs, 140runs scored and 50sbs is gold.
B1leper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby San D » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Let's not forget that Reyes is fairly tall himself (6-1"), is also very young, and hit 19 HR's last year. Although he's only hit 4 HR so far this year, I think it's a reasonable projection that Reyes could be a late teen, early 20 HR guy for a bunch of future years. This would knock of Hanley's advantage and shift it to Reyes, since the HR comparison wouldn't be that large, but the extras SB Reyes would provide would be key. :-?
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amatter32 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:01 pm

I'd rather have Hanley. Both players are good to have on your team, but I think Reyes' extra steals don't really effect anything. In my league (18 teams) Reyes' team is 8th in steals while Hanley's is first.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SignGuy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:13 pm

Amatter32 wrote:I'd rather have Hanley. Both players are good to have on your team, but I think Reyes' extra steals don't really effect anything. In my league (18 teams) Reyes' team is 8th in steals while Hanley's is first.

That means absolutely squat
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:53 pm

B1leper wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:No. Reyes is on pace for 84 SBs. Their stats should be extremely close outside of the HRs and SBs, and Reyes' SBs are more valuable than Hanley's extra HRs.

Sizemore on pace for: 85 RBI, 134 runs
Pierre: 38 RBI, 93 runs

Do those look extremely close to you?

Pierre is on pace for 18 more SBs and 28 less HRs than Sizemore.
Reyes is on pace for 36 more SBs and 19 less HRs than Hanley.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby B1leper » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:01 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
B1leper wrote:

Sizemore on pace for: 85 RBI, 134 runs
Pierre: 38 RBI, 93 runs

Do those look extremely close to you?

Pierre is on pace for 18 more SBs and 28 less HRs than Sizemore.
Reyes is on pace for 36 more SBs and 19 less HRs than Reyes.

I agree totally. It's a poor analogy. But you were the one who said that Reyes SBs were more valuable than Ramirez's HRs. I was just trying to point out that there is a bit more to it than that.

And, for the record, I do believe that 20 additionaly HRs by a SS, a position that is normally not a power position, is more important than 36 more SBs. But that's just my opinion.
B1leper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers