Old vs. Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Old vs. Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Old vs. Young

Postby bsblallstr » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:01 pm

i think that many older players are super sleeper candidates because people are always looking to get the next great young guy and pass up on the consistent veteran. Look at Rafael palmeiro's stats, if you just go by stats youd think that he would be a top 10 round pick without a doubt, but he will probably fall in many drafts because he is old. But do we really suppose that a cabrera or teixeira will put up that much better stats? So why do we take them so much higher.
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:26 pm

Because were greedy and dream of getting Cabrera 62 RBI 3rd base eligible 2nd halves or a Vernon Wells breakout season in the mid rounds.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Young

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:29 pm

We feel safer from injury with the younger player and if it's a keeper league, it's a no brainer!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Old vs. Young

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:05 pm

bsblallstr wrote:i think that many older players are super sleeper candidates because people are always looking to get the next great young guy and pass up on the consistent veteran. Look at Rafael palmeiro's stats, if you just go by stats youd think that he would be a top 10 round pick without a doubt, but he will probably fall in many drafts because he is old. But do we really suppose that a cabrera or teixeira will put up that much better stats? So why do we take them so much higher.

I don't think Palmero is a good example, but for the most part I agree with you.

I'll tell you who are the best bargains though. Former hot shot youngsters who fail as rookies, such as Blalock and Ensberg. People think that if they stink as rookies they just plain stink and off they go to the next hot rookie.

Other than Pujols, the rookies who usually provide the most bang for the buck are unsung players such as Podsenik and them you don't have to waste a pick on. As a rule, I never draft or buy a rookie.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:39 pm

I'm also wary of rookies, but I would also say that when I look at players who have established themself for a year or two, I always consider younger players before older players. That's juts because younger players are much more likely to have a significant improvement than older players. So, if I draft 8 guys who are 24-27 and you draft 8 guys who are 34-37 and they both have the same basic ability levels based onpast experience, I'm likely to win that gamble.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:03 pm

Everyone wants to be able to say "I drafted (insert kid's name) before the season started!" when they explode and have a good year.

Problem is that for every 1 guy that can say that, there are at least 5 guys that drafted a dud.

Other times, it's somone overvaluing the kids in a keeper league. My philosophy is to draft the best players to win this year and keepers will take care of themselves. I've never had a problem not having quality guys to keep in any of my keeper leagues.

Give me the proven veterans. Hmmm.......maybe a new team name there. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby trevisc » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:05 pm

I usually go for the middle of the road in age wise guys. I don't like to take chances on Schilling and RJ when I could have a guy like Maggs with the same pick.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Return to Baseball Leftovers