If Pete Rose can't be in the HoF why can Bonds? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If Pete Rose can't be in the HoF why can Bonds?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If Pete Rose can't be in the HoF why can Bonds?

Postby YerInUrine » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:19 am

I don't know if anyone has already compaired Bonds' situation to Rose's already so I apologize in advance. Pete Rose has the has the all time hit record right?.. and he is being snubbed from the hall of fame because he bet on/against his team while he was managing? Is that the whole story or am I missing something? It seems to me that before Rose's book and him admitting to betting, the topic was speculatory. There wasn't really any proof... but they held him out of the HoF anyways. Betting did not enhance his performance and effect his numbers like steriods allegedly effected Bonds' numbers. People are saying Bond's should go into the HoF because of his numbers and there is no proof of him cheating, basically until he admits it. So if Pete Rose did'nt admit to betting he would be in the HoF? It just doesnt make sence to me to let Bonds in with whats happening and not let Rose in. Where he bet while he was managing, not a player. If there is something more to Rose's snub, or if I am incorrect in anyway please let me know. I dont know much about his situation, I am a bit too young . Any thoughts?
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: If Pete Rose can't be in the HoF why can Bonds?

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:38 pm

YerInUrine wrote:There wasn't really any proof... but they held him out of the HoF anyways.

Rose voluntarily agreed to place himself on the permanently ineligible list.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oatsdad » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:38 pm

Pete AGREED to a life-time ban from the game back in 1989. "Life-time ban" = "can't be in the HOF". Betting in baseball is the MAJOR sin - they regard it as the worst possible offense. You do that, you're gone - no ifs, ands or buts.

Bonds, on the other hand, has yet to be found guilty of any offense. Did he juice? Probably. Has he ever failed a test? Nope. You can't ban him from the HOF when he hasn't officially broken a rule.

Anyway, it's up to the voters to determine if Bonds gets in. He will - even if he'd never juiced, he had a HOF-worthy career before he became a homer king. But there's no frigging way you can ban him.

There's no comparison between his situation and Pete's - it's bizarre you're making the argument...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:39 pm

The difference is Pete Rose was one of the only guys betting on baseball.

If you ban Bonds from the hall of fame, you have to ban everybody else that you think might have used steroids which is impossible to do without banning almost everyone. I don't think Selig wants any part of that when in reality he's the one who should be getting the heat for standing by and watching it happen.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:45 pm

You answered the question in your own post - you stated "steroids allegedly affected Bonds numbers." That word allegedly should answer all questions.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Mashug » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:47 pm

Both are jerks and both are liars. The difference is that Rose was caught gambling and nobody has been able to prove that Bonds took steroids. We all know he did it, but that's not enough to keep him out.

Rose didn't cheat to get all those hits, and Bonds would have made it even without the roids. Unfortunately, they both belong there. The big mystery is why Shoeless Joe isn't in the HOF.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dillpickle » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:51 pm

Wow. I didn't realize this question would be so tough for anyone to understand. It seems to me to be quite simple. First off, betting on baseball was against the rule dating back to the early 1900's if not the 1880's or so. Steroids wasn't against the rules until say 2004 or so. Second, although it is quite obvious Bonds has taken steroids among other PED's, it really hasn't been "proven". Rose has admitted to betting on baseball (just not the Reds to lose). Seems simple.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kentx12 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:52 pm

I have compared Bonds to Rose a few times. I believe there situations will be similar. Bonds IMO will never get into the HOF as well he shouldnt and I dont believe Rose will ever get in either at least I hope not. So in a perfect world when people travel to Cooperstown NY. to see the HOF inducties each year they will pass the 2 most pathetic figuers in MLB history sitting in a little booth selling autographs thinking to thereselves what if we had of only done it the right way.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby 4Pack » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:53 pm

Sad thing is...if I understand correctly...Rose bet on his team to win. If he bet on them to lose...I would be all for the ban.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:18 pm

kentx12 wrote:I have compared Bonds to Rose a few times. I believe there situations will be similar. Bonds IMO will never get into the HOF as well he shouldnt and I dont believe Rose will ever get in either at least I hope not. So in a perfect world when people travel to Cooperstown NY. to see the HOF inducties each year they will pass the 2 most pathetic figuers in MLB history sitting in a little booth selling autographs thinking to thereselves what if we had of only done it the right way.

Except when you make 20 million dollars a year, you will never have to sit in a little booth selling autographs. Instead, you can laugh as you sit in your 100k car as you drive to the bank.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers