DOES PUJOLS HAVE UPSIDE OR HAS HE PEAKED? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DOES PUJOLS HAVE UPSIDE OR HAS HE PEAKED?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:08 pm

I have no idea as to what Pujol's ceiling is, but I'll state the obvious and that's he will be a force for many more years. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:09 pm

that's a good question... I still don't think A-rod had reached his ceiling yet so anything is possible.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Erboes » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:05 pm

BKeller wrote:Erboes-

Since I've read and enjoyed many of your posts, I know you're a believer in statistical trends . . . guys tend to develop power slightly further into their careers and start hitting for better average after a few years in the Bigs. Wouldn't standard player development trends suggest that Pujols will be hitting even more HRs in the coming year with a comparable or better AVG? I can't think of ANYONE who has begun his career with this sort of power/average combination, which makes me wonder if A-Poo will do even better.

For example Sammy Sosa's power.AVG didn't peak until around his 8th full year in MLB (66 HRs, .308, and the AVG got even higher a few years later), Bagwell until his 10th (47 HRs, .310) (although he had a higher AVG earlier on once or twice), Palmeiro until his 13th (47 HRs, .324) . . . if this is representative, and unless these players' success was attributable to a juiced ball or some similar factor, Pujols should be hitting even better over the coming years. What am I missing? Or is it just that you figure, 'how much better can he get'? :-)

If you really think about it, how many players have started their careers at a level that Pujols has? Not many at all. In fact, I can't think of many in my lifetime. I recall Freddy Lynn for one. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Because of this I really don't know what the guy can do because this territory is rarely blazed. I do not buy the idea that you necessarily will get better just because you are young just like Lynn didn't. On the other hand, Pujols is obviously special and I wouldn't be surprised if he achieved even greater things in the future. I'm sure the same things were being said about Griffey though and he hadn't really improved that much if at all from his early glory days. We'll see, but I just think it may be wise to temper our expectations a bit and let him surprise us.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tddf30 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:43 pm

How many years has he been in the League, 3 how could someone who has gotten better in his first three seasons peak after that. I feel that Pujols has only just begun, He is only a kid in this league he has so much more that he can learn and whn he does-

Watch out Ted Williams
tddf30
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers