Trading By Name Recognition - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trading By Name Recognition

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trading By Name Recognition

Postby Danger » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:21 pm

Ursa wrote:
rjforlife wrote:guys with big names have proven year in and year out that they can produce, i.e. ortiz. the guys you dont know have been good but no one can know with any certainty if they will maitain or totally crash, i.e. victorino. thats not to say Victorino can't become a superb player, its just not worth paying for his stats up till now in a trade. simple as that.

And that's it in a nutshell right there. It's not what they've done this year so far, it's what they CAN do and have proved they can do over time.

That's pretty much how I, and any fantasy owner with logic, would see it as well. I see you trying to argue a case of buy low and sell high and simply put, most owners aren't dumb enough to fall for it. I know none of the guys in my league are, my case and point would be me trying to sell Eric Byrnes for any big names and failing because Byrnes is a career 260 hitter.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dryice » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:27 am

got one.

pitcher a) made pitch - GOT out *
pitcher b) made pitch - did NOT get out **

answers
a) Lima
b) Santana

*actually ball was sucked up by low flying jet, but since outfielder caught feather of unfortunate bird passing by before it hit the ground, ruled an out (under appeal)

** batter missed pitch by two time zones

if still want pitcher b, know lots of people in league i play in who will help free mind of these nonsensical "name" biases

they just wanna help.
dryice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Philomath » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:32 pm

dryice wrote:got one.

answers
a) Lima
b) Santana

*actually ball was sucked up by low flying jet, but since outfielder caught feather of unfortunate bird passing by before it hit the ground, ruled an out (under appeal)

if still want pitcher b, know lots of people in league i play in who will help free mind of these nonsensical "name" biases

they just wanna help.

Um... what?
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:40 pm

Philomath wrote:

answers
a) Lima
b) Santana

they just wanna help.

Um... what?

Lol this is Dryice's second attempt at a humorous analogy. The first was this one:
hit a free throw once.. never mind missed the first 1000...they were just practice.
and the 1000 after that..they were just practice too.

saw michael jordan miss once..

me 1 / 1
michael jordan 0 / 1

wrote a letter to the Bulls pointin this out..

but were too caught up in the "name" thing

It's better, but Dryice, you can give it a rest now - we get it.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philomath » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:50 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:
Philomath wrote:

answers
a) Lima
b) Santana

they just wanna help.

Um... what?

Lol this is Dryice's second attempt at a humorous analogy. The first was this one:
hit a free throw once.. never mind missed the first 1000...they were just practice.

me 1 / 1
michael jordan 0 / 1

It's better, but Dryice, you can give it a rest now - we get it.

Yeah... I got it, but after nobody responded to the first, why pipe in with a second?

I think that the strategy the original poster was trying to "prove" was killed on the first page. I was surprised this post's thread even made it to a second page. We all have an owner, or owners, in our league that are notorious for these type of trade offers. In my league, we have one owner that has been making these types of offers for 5 years now and he can't figure out why the rest of the league gets so frustrated with him. It's a lowball strategy that makes for bad relations with the rest of the league.
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:57 pm

I just thought of something. We all have issues when someone sends us Victorino for Ortiz following the logic of the original poster, no? But the key to this whole discussion is to know when to do the opposite: when to sell the big name for the current small name producer and win out over the year. So yeah, we hate it when that stupid trade comes through and you laugh and click "Reject Trade." But when do you say, alright Bay, you are pissing me off and I'm gonna ship you off for Victorino and this guy's gonna guy you because he's a big name player?
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:26 pm

dryice wrote:hit a free throw once.. never mind missed the first 1000...they were just practice.

me 1 / 1
michael jordan 0 / 1

;-D

A name is only part of a deal. A guy with a big name has this big name because he's produced year in and year out. Trading a guy who's got similar numbers over a much shorter period of time is a good idea on paper, but don't expect very many people to accept these deals.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby citti34 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:39 pm

Wow, I'm a dumber person now after reading this thread. Thanks... This "Name Recognition" idea would work better for proven players that are under the radar. Or blue chip players on terrible teams and or small markets, ie, Vlad with the Expos.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KR » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:13 am

I personally like the idea of trading big names away.

Im a big fan of stats, sabermetrics etc. So I really like finding those smaller name guys with some success already in the MLB that project to continue the success

Trading for the Hawpe's, Kotchman's, Pedroia, s, and trading away the bobby abreu's of the world
KR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fbc_fan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:14 am

like another poster said, owners (if they are smart) will trade on future potential, not what a player has done up to this point in the season. yes, victorino is having a stellar season and is even in points with ortiz. ortiz has shown for 3 years in a row now that he is a top talent player, so there is no reason to expect a large drop off. victorino has a 3 month track record. he could keep it up, but then again he is more likely not to. you always have to ask yourself, if someone sent me their victorino/capps for my ortiz/wang, would i accept it. i don't think anyone here would, regardless of how they are performing currently.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers