Ryan Dempster shut down...has a set back - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ryan Dempster shut down...has a set back

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Re:Exactly

Postby Roberto Clemente » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:24 am

I don't know about "dripping confidence". He has 28 good innings under his belt, but had 77 innings last year with a 6+ ERA. I don't mind that the Cubs are going with the veterans as their closer, and putting Marmol in where they know he can succeed.

I can understand why you have your doubts due to his poor performance in "06". However...Marmol was a Starting Pitcher for the most part last season, starting 13 Games in 19 Appearances. He is a Relief Pitcher this year. Two different roles.

Marmol is close to turning 25 years old. Last season was his first in the bigs, and he was pretty much a Starter.

Marmol has the best stuff and the moxie to succeed. The Cubs' veteran relievers have not been able to get it done on a consistent basis.

All we can go by to gauge a player is this season...the season the Cubs are playing...and Marmol is by far their best reliever.
Roberto Clemente
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re:Exactly

Postby Rounders » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:52 pm

Roberto Clemente wrote:
I don't know about "dripping confidence". He has 28 good innings under his belt, but had 77 innings last year with a 6+ ERA. I don't mind that the Cubs are going with the veterans as their closer, and putting Marmol in where they know he can succeed.

I can understand why you have your doubts due to his poor performance in "06". However...Marmol was a Starting Pitcher for the most part last season, starting 13 Games in 19 Appearances. He is a Relief Pitcher this year. Two different roles.

Marmol is close to turning 25 years old. Last season was his first in the bigs, and he was pretty much a Starter.

Marmol has the best stuff and the moxie to succeed. The Cubs' veteran relievers have not been able to get it done on a consistent basis.

All we can go by to gauge a player is this season...the season the Cubs are playing...and Marmol is by far their best reliever.

Got to keep in mind that since Marmol was a starter, he's naturally the best choice for long relief and pitching for more than 3 outs (which they like to do with him). It's nice to have a guy in the 6th or 7th that can come in and get an out or 2 when the SP gets into trouble and then come back in and pitch the next inning also.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates