For those who have drafted - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

For those who have drafted

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

For those who have drafted

Postby prodpaul » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:40 pm

Just a question isn't it too early to be drafting?
Aren't you concerned about Spring Training injuries, etc...?

Not to bash anyone but just checking. Oh and what happens come late March? It would seem all the excitement of the draft would be gone like a month and a half early. Just wonderin

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: For those who have drafted

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:42 pm

prodpaul wrote:Just a question isn't it too early to be drafting?
Aren't you concerned about Spring Training injuries, etc...?

Not to bash anyone but just checking. Oh and what happens come late March? It would seem all the excitement of the draft would be gone like a month and a half early. Just wonderin

We draft February 21st and that's kind of early but it lets us get in a lot of trading before the season starts.

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:06 pm

who can wait that long?
football is over and, although I watch basketball and hockey, the fantasy sports are death - why wait?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby cannonarm21 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:34 pm

We really drag our draft out. We usually start it at the end of February and do at least 1 round a day. That way you know you get at least 1 pick a day. We do an email draft. Our league is scattered all over, and we refuse to do the 90 second picks at Yahoo.
I agree that it makes the offseason shorter, and it is fun to start the trading talk. I also kind of like paying attention to my guys in spring training.
As far as injuries go, I think a guy can get hurt just as easily in spring training diving for a ball (Nevin) as regular season picking up a suitcase (Sasaki). It's luck of the draw.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:50 pm

I have been drafting since Dec 1st.and we have only completed 9 rounds. Talk about dragging out.... 8-o It has been taht way in our league for 3 yrs though and kinda keeps everyone involved in the offseason. Each owner has 48hrs to post there pick and it is a 30 player roster so it takes us right up to the beginning of the season.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mikcou » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:18 pm

kentx12 wrote:I have been drafting since Dec 1st.and we have only completed 9 rounds. Talk about dragging out.... 8-o It has been taht way in our league for 3 yrs though and kinda keeps everyone involved in the offseason. Each owner has 48hrs to post there pick and it is a 30 player roster so it takes us right up to the beginning of the season.

You better speed up you might not finish 8-o
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:27 pm

mikcou wrote:
kentx12 wrote:I have been drafting since Dec 1st.and we have only completed 9 rounds. Talk about dragging out.... 8-o It has been taht way in our league for 3 yrs though and kinda keeps everyone involved in the offseason. Each owner has 48hrs to post there pick and it is a 30 player roster so it takes us right up to the beginning of the season.

You better speed up you might not finish 8-o

We keep 10 so we have actually just got 10 rounds left and it will be moved to a 24 hr time limit on the 1st day of March so we can finish the last couple of rounds.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby cannonarm21 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:41 pm

So who's the sap who drafted Aaron Boone?
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mocabeenow » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:46 pm

my 6 team league that i've been doing for 7 years all meet together at one of our houses two weeks before the start of the season. So we do get to look at spring training and other news late in the game... I draft in free yahoo leagues when they are available just to get some practice and ideas going on how players are being picked up. So i can be well prepared for my all important 6 team, every player is good draft! Also $155 to the winner. or we like to say "weener"
~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:23 pm

I'm in 5 leagues, and 4 of them have started drafting already. One is the auction, and we needed a lot of time to complete it. One is an 18 team keeper league and the eMail draft starts this saturday (about 12 keepers per team, so it shouldn't take too long). 2 other leagues are right near the end of drafting. The other league we all keep 10 players so that draft shouldn't take too long either, and I think it's starting soon. I like to draft early, hope for the best injuries/trade wise, and then trade for the few months before the season and get my team ready. The one league I had Aaron Boone as a keeper, the commish let me switch in Carl Crawford. It was in the one league that didn't start drafting yet, thank god :-° .

Some people prefer to wait until right before the season, but I don't have the time to do that. Most msg board drafts take about 3 or 4 months to complete, and add to that a minor league draft and you're looking at a looooooong time.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers