Could you pass the U.S. citizenship test? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Could you pass the U.S. citizenship test?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Could you pass the U.S. citizenship test?

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:20 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:The first amendment is the freedom of the press? 8-o
Patrick Henry and not Thomas Jefferson said "Give me liberty or give me death"? :-o
Bill of Right does not guarantee "Right to life, right to liberty, right to the pursuit of happiness"? Then what is it that guarantee those? :-o

85% ain't bad right? Plus I'm not eligible(and haven't even bothered considering it) for 2 more years :-D

The first amendment has hall the "Freedom of..." stuff...petition, speech, press, religion....

Patrick Henry I believe said "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" in that famous speech of his to Congress.

The Right to Life Liberty and the Persuit of Happiness comes from the opening lines of the Declaration of Independence...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident...that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by the created, certain unalienable rights, of which include Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"....or something like that.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:52 pm

dclark0699 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:The first amendment is the freedom of the press? 8-o
Patrick Henry and not Thomas Jefferson said "Give me liberty or give me death"? :-o
Bill of Right does not guarantee "Right to life, right to liberty, right to the pursuit of happiness"? Then what is it that guarantee those? :-o

85% ain't bad right? Plus I'm not eligible(and haven't even bothered considering it) for 2 more years :-D

The first amendment has hall the "Freedom of..." stuff...petition, speech, press, religion....

Patrick Henry I believe said "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" in that famous speech of his to Congress.

The Right to Life Liberty and the Persuit of Happiness comes from the opening lines of the Declaration of Independence...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident...that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by the created, certain unalienable rights, of which include Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"....or something like that.

And to think I got an A in US History in HS :*)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:47 pm

90%
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby wake » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
beatdrum wrote:I never really understood the purpose of the citizenship test.

So you know a little bit about the country you wish to call your home.

I like that people applying for citizenship need to learn about how our government works like the different branches and the amendments. However, I think it's kind of pointless to base citizenship on knowing something like "Who said 'Give me liberty or give me death' ?".
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:29 am

90%

Didn't know which amendment did not guarantee voting rights and the year that the Constitution was written.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby beatdrum » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:59 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

By that rationale, shouldn't you have to take a state test when you move to a different state so that you "know a little bit about the state you wish to call your home"?
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:38 pm

beatdrum wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

By that rationale, shouldn't you have to take a state test when you move to a different state so that you "know a little bit about the state you wish to call your home"?

That rationale doesn't really make sense; I'm not sure how knowing that people from Connecticut are called "nutmeggers" should be a pre-requisite for moving there. :-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beatdrum » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:51 pm

I'm not sure how knowing how knowing how many representatives there are in congress should be a prerequisite either. (Nutmeggers. I didn't know that. :-? )
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:12 pm

Just like how people from Inidiana are "hoosiers," those from Oklahoma are "sooners," if you're from Ohio, you're a "buckeye," people from Michigan are "Michiganders" and those from Mass. are "bay staters."

They're not just college football teams :-b

While "nutmeggers" are my favorite (followed closely by Michiganders), Oklahoma is called the "Sooner State" because it was originally an Indian reservation closed off to pioneering settlers heading west. When the US gov't finally opened OK for settlement, many of the settlers, thinking they were there first, found that there were already people there... those who had gotten there "sooner" than them (because they had gone there illegally).
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beatdrum » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:39 pm

Coppermine wrote:Just like how people from Inidiana are "hoosiers," those from Oklahoma are "sooners," if you're from Ohio, you're a "buckeye," people from Michigan are "Michiganders" and those from Mass. are "bay staters."

They're not just college football teams :-b

While "nutmeggers" are my favorite (followed closely by Michiganders), Oklahoma is called the "Sooner State" because it was originally an Indian reservation closed off to pioneering settlers heading west. When the US gov't finally opened OK for settlement, many of the settlers, thinking they were there first, found that there were already people there... those who had gotten there "sooner" than them (because they had gone there illegally).

That's cool. I did not know that. I'm in Oklahoma for the summer. I think I'll quiz one of the locals.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk