Damnit Wandy. What an awful spot start.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wandy Rodriguez

Postby RyeWhiskey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:20 am

cobbs87 wrote:Damnit Wandy. What an awful spot start.

:-B

If you spot started Wandy at Chicago you either didn't read this thread or didn't look at his split stats. He is consistently horrible on the road this year. Scroll back a page and look at the splits, then only spot start him at home...
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dorje3 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:29 pm

converge241 wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:Here's the key to Wandy:

Home (9 GS): 5-2, 51 K, 1.81 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, .202 BAA
Away (8 GS): 1-5, 39 K, 6.60 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, .296 BAA

So there you have it, Wandy is the perfect split stat starter. In other words, only play him when he's at home. I recently added him for this purpose. Cheers.

- Monkey

Ervin Santana of the NL

OK, so I thought I would update this thread (from last year).
In a realatively small sample size in 2008, his split stats are still lopsided, but not as quite as terrible as last year:
Wandy
Home: 6GS 38INN 35K 8BB 1.89ERA 0.95WHIP .197BAA
Away: 4GS 21INN 16K 8BB 3.80ERA 1.50WHIP .276BAA

I recall Santana's numbers were fairly similar through his first 50 innings this year (ie he was not imploding on the road) and that he has since pitched well enough away from home to turn in a very respectable home/road split on the year (almost identical, in fact). Any chance Wandy can get his act together on the road and follow suit, or is he still a split(ting headache) dandy?
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RyeWhiskey » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:51 pm

dorje3 wrote:
converge241 wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:Here's the key to Wandy:

Home (9 GS): 5-2, 51 K, 1.81 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, .202 BAA
Away (8 GS): 1-5, 39 K, 6.60 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, .296 BAA

So there you have it, Wandy is the perfect split stat starter. In other words, only play him when he's at home. I recently added him for this purpose. Cheers.

- Monkey

Ervin Santana of the NL

OK, so I thought I would update this thread (from last year).
In a realatively small sample size in 2008, his split stats are still lopsided, but not as quite as terrible as last year:
Wandy
Home: 6GS 38INN 35K 8BB 1.89ERA 0.95WHIP .197BAA
Away: 4GS 21INN 16K 8BB 3.80ERA 1.50WHIP .276BAA

I recall Santana's numbers were fairly similar through his first 50 innings this year (ie he was not imploding on the road) and that he has since pitched well enough away from home to turn in a very respectable home/road split on the year (almost identical, in fact). Any chance Wandy can get his act together on the road and follow suit, or is he still a split(ting headache) dandy?

It seems as though his home starts are golden, so I would start him confidently at home. As for on the road, I might be tempted to check his opponent and make the move according to their hitting ability. So I would start him consistently at home, and spot start him on the road until he demonstrates a move one way or the other (regress to last year's road starts, or maintaining decent road starts).

- Monkey
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dorje3 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:41 pm

I've always had trouble valuing players with such nightmarish split stats. On the one hand, players like Wandy (and Santana in years past) were so prictable in their splits that, if utilized correctly, produced results of pure gold. On the other hand, you're taling about onlt 15-18 useful starts throughout the season (and that is contingent upon good health).
Given that Wandy lost a few starts to injury and that only half the season remains, it's hard to justify rostering him in shallower leagues given that he really only has about 8 useful starts left on the season...
I wish he could pick it up on the road. I've always been reticent to utilize players with such fragile mental makeup (I don't know what else to chalk their horrible splits up to).
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:46 pm

dorje3 wrote:I've always had trouble valuing players with such nightmarish split stats. On the one hand, players like Wandy (and Santana in years past) were so prictable in their splits that, if utilized correctly, produced results of pure gold. On the other hand, you're taling about onlt 15-18 useful starts throughout the season (and that is contingent upon good health).
Given that Wandy lost a few starts to injury and that only half the season remains, it's hard to justify rostering him in shallower leagues given that he really only has about 8 useful starts left on the season...
I wish he could pick it up on the road. I've always been reticent to utilize players with such fragile mental makeup (I don't know what else to chalk their horrible splits up to).

You could say it's hard to justify rostering him in shallow leagues, but unlike a lot of roster pick-ups you would at least be confident in what you're getting with him. Players like him are solid in any format IMO unless you are seriously hurting for something specific.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers