Gagne worth taking early? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne worth taking early?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DetroitGloryDays » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:08 pm

This year I am going to take gagne in the 2nd or 3rd round so I don't have to worry about saves.....then I can concentrate on hitters and starters while the rest of the closers are being taken.
"A slick way to outfigure a person is to get him figuring you figure he's figuring you're figuring he'll figure you aren't really figuring what you want him to figure you figure." - Whitey Herzog, St. Louis Cardinals manager
DetroitGloryDays
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikcou » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:08 pm

tddf30 wrote:
trevisc wrote:Gagne is a rare closer but there are a few rare closers in the same range:

Rivera
Foulke
Smoltz
Wagner

will all have similar numbers. I wouldn't draft a closer until the 4th round at the earliest. I usually wait until the 6th round.

U may not think so but , many of the best closers go in the second or third round, u may get stuck with a 20 sv, player if u wait until the 6th round

You can get closers in the sixth round that get more than 20 saves. In the drafts I have been in the only closer that have been taken before the sixth round was Gagne. Smoltz and Gagne were taken in the sixth round...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:15 pm

the_tenman wrote:If Gagne is able to repeat his numbers from last season, then he would be well worth a 2nd round pick. He will take a pitching slot on your team and provide ~70 strikeouts more than an above average closer that would take up the same slot(of course, thats saying he would repeat last seasons stats, not likely, imo). Along with solid percentages and above average save totals, Gagne is young and in full control of his position as closer. If we would add 70 ks to a nonstrikeout starter, then wouldn`t he be a top 20 player? Add 70 k`s to Colons totals last seaon. What round would he go in with 240 ks? That would bring him close to Schillings totals. Well, thats my point, really. I am looking forward to someone talking me out of Gagne in the 2nd, lol. I will be playing in a 15 man league 5x5 and have Gagne in my top 20. I think I have him rated 17th or 18th overall.

So basically, what your saying is that Gagne + a mid rd pircher = a stud pitcher.

Why dont you take a stud pitcher instead? That way you dont have to waste a mid rd pick to make up for taking Gagne early.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:34 pm

I heard a rumor that an unnamed team member of Gagne's stated.. "He has lost so much size I didn't even recognize him"

Was Gagne on the juice? :-o How do you go from Lanky crappy starter, to Big superman closer within a two year span..

"Roids" are gonna play a huge role this year, because a lot of users are going to have to find new methods, and your going to hear a lot of excuses.. "I'm starting a new work out regiment, with yoga, and less weight training"
We will know when spring training starts.. if a lot of players are smaller.
Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmmmm :-°
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trevisc » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:39 pm

haha...maybe he just got that bypass gastrointestinal surgery or something...

:-b
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby the_tenman » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:10 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
the_tenman wrote:If Gagne is able to repeat his numbers from last season, then he would be well worth a 2nd round pick. He will take a pitching slot on your team and provide ~70 strikeouts more than an above average closer that would take up the same slot(of course, thats saying he would repeat last seasons stats, not likely, imo). Along with solid percentages and above average save totals, Gagne is young and in full control of his position as closer. If we would add 70 ks to a nonstrikeout starter, then wouldn`t he be a top 20 player? Add 70 k`s to Colons totals last seaon. What round would he go in with 240 ks? That would bring him close to Schillings totals. Well, thats my point, really. I am looking forward to someone talking me out of Gagne in the 2nd, lol. I will be playing in a 15 man league 5x5 and have Gagne in my top 20. I think I have him rated 17th or 18th overall.

So basically, what your saying is that Gagne + a mid rd pircher = a stud pitcher.

Why dont you take a stud pitcher instead? That way you dont have to waste a mid rd pick to make up for taking Gagne early.

What pitcher would I supposedly be passing in the late 2nd round? Hudson?
the_tenman
College Coach
College Coach

Gagne worth taking early?

Postby esm » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:31 pm

Okay, Gagne was the best closer in baseball last year. Doesn't necessarily mean he will have as good a year in '04. If he isn't hot, he won't generate the Saves, Ks, WHIPs, or ERA that a 2nd round pick would need for justification.

If, on the other hand, he does repeat 2003, only one team in your league will have him. The other 11, 13, or whatever teams, will be competing with 6th round and later closers. Do you really want to win the Saves category that much at the expense of a stud batter or ace starter?
3andOut: Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
esm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers