Gagne worth taking early? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne worth taking early?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shuffcard » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:08 pm

I play in a points league and i will take gagne at the end of the first/second round if i have the opportunity.

He outscores every pitcher out there and like a stud hitter, you can leave him in the lineup regardless.

For roto league, i wouldnt worry with a closer in the first 2 or 3 rounds.
shuffcard
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:27 pm

points leagues are a whole other ball game. gagne was gold last year in TSN ultimate BB. the only reason i won my league last year was that i had him for the last 2 months and my opponent refused to pick him up.

ill never take a closer early. its not worth it IMO
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby the_tenman » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:57 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:Because Gagne will go earlier than he should in most drafts if you wait until the 6th Trev I bet you wont get any of those guys either.

Gagne is going to rightly or wrongly start a trend of closers getting taken earlier in drafts.

I know its not any of the 4 mentioned, but quality closers can be gotten after the 6th. In Mock 8 I took Isri and Dotel in the 7th-8th. There never was a real closer run like one would expect, so by taking them somewhat back to back (4 picks in between) I am hoping to start a 2nd tier closer run. Even still, not taking a closer till the 7th and ending up with Isri and Dotel will allow me to compete in that cat without wasting a top pick.

Thats pretty late to be getting Dotel, IMO.
the_tenman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:17 pm

yeah- i wouldnt take gagne as high as i'm sure he'll go. i wouldnt be suprised to see some go after him in the first.

i'll wait til the middle rounds and grab the best of the rest, or haope izzy, percivil of hoffman fall to mer around 9-10
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:33 pm

I don't like to have the elite closers on my team. I usually draft mediocre closers who have good ERA/WHIP and potential to save 40 games on bad teams. ie: Danny Kolb, Francisco Cordero, Joe Nathan, and to a lesser extent, Damaso Marte and David Riske. It helps that I'm in a holds league so if Marte/Riske don't end up closing, the holds are a bonus. I usually win every pitching cat in that 18 team league by using that strategy. I also have Smoltz though, whom I got in early 2002 before he was recognized as a great closer. so he helps a bit too ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby baseball genius » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:35 pm

Gagne and Smoltz were taken in the FIRST round of my 16 team keeper league!

I just can't understand why you would waste a fist round pick on a closer. Gagne will get 50 saves, but you can also get a lot of mid level guys who you can pick up who will get you 30 saves in the later rounds.

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KULCAT » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:31 am

In Fantasy points he has been top 3 for 2 years now. In Roto and Head To Head i would think getting hitters or SP´s that can help you in 3 or more categories is much more necessary
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AtP » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:56 am

Watching how drafts go is really a contrast compared to the auction. In a draft I would wait on the middle round closers..never take guy like Gagne or Rivera too early. In an auction though you have to pay for the pitchers you get..I would rather spend 30 on a guy like Gagne or Rivera than 25 on a guy like Percival or that level. Saves are hard to come by in some leagues..I usually go after a top notch closer then take a shot on a up and comer who will get a handful. I am fortunate to have Gagne one more year for only $4. Will be able to drive up the prices of the quality RP's out there and since I have Valverde as a back up I won't need to go with any big saves guys.
Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.
AtP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby the_tenman » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:11 am

If Gagne is able to repeat his numbers from last season, then he would be well worth a 2nd round pick. He will take a pitching slot on your team and provide ~70 strikeouts more than an above average closer that would take up the same slot(of course, thats saying he would repeat last seasons stats, not likely, imo). Along with solid percentages and above average save totals, Gagne is young and in full control of his position as closer. If we would add 70 ks to a nonstrikeout starter, then wouldn`t he be a top 20 player? Add 70 k`s to Colons totals last seaon. What round would he go in with 240 ks? That would bring him close to Schillings totals. Well, thats my point, really. I am looking forward to someone talking me out of Gagne in the 2nd, lol. I will be playing in a 15 man league 5x5 and have Gagne in my top 20. I think I have him rated 17th or 18th overall.
the_tenman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tddf30 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:05 pm

trevisc wrote:Gagne is a rare closer but there are a few rare closers in the same range:

Rivera
Foulke
Smoltz
Wagner

will all have similar numbers. I wouldn't draft a closer until the 4th round at the earliest. I usually wait until the 6th round.

U may not think so but , many of the best closers go in the second or third round, u may get stuck with a 20 sv, player if u wait until the 6th round
tddf30
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers