Gagne worth taking early? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne worth taking early?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gagne worth taking early?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:25 pm

Don't be mislead by the subject. I agree I'm sure with 99% of ppl out there that gagne is worth a pick in 2-3rd round of most drafts.

Althouh he probably has nearly the best ERA, Whip, K/9, and Save totals of any pitcher. Due to the low number of innings pitched how valuable is he really? Do i really want to waste an early round pick on him?

My general strat would be to draft mostly hitters with my earlier picks and try to grab one stud pitcher to anchor my rotation.

Could someone fill me in on the overall draft strategy they would use when choosing to pick an elite closer like gagne with an early round pick.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:47 pm

I also would like to see someone defend taking Gagne in the 1st or 2nd.

The way I see it is - why? He is awsome in one catagory and helps a bit in 3 others. With those first 2 rds I cant see spending a pick on a guy that doesnt make large contributions in at least 4 catagories.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:48 pm

Gagne is a rare closer but there are a few rare closers in the same range:

Rivera
Foulke
Smoltz
Wagner

will all have similar numbers. I wouldn't draft a closer until the 4th round at the earliest. I usually wait until the 6th round.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:31 pm

trevisc wrote:Gagne is a rare closer but there are a few rare closers in the same range:

Rivera
Foulke
Smoltz
Wagner

will all have similar numbers. I wouldn't draft a closer until the 4th round at the earliest. I usually wait until the 6th round.

Because Gagne will go earlier than he should in most drafts if you wait until the 6th Trev I bet you wont get any of those guys either.

Gagne is going to rightly or wrongly start a trend of closers getting taken earlier in drafts.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:33 pm

trevisc wrote:Gagne is a rare closer but there are a few rare closers in the same range:

Rivera
Foulke
Smoltz
Wagner

Because Gagne will go earlier than he should in most drafts if you wait until the 6th Trev I bet you wont get any of those guys either.

Gagne is going to rightly or wrongly start a trend of closers getting taken earlier in drafts.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:34 pm

I just cant see taking a closer in the first few rounds. I know I wont get a gagne/Smoltz type of closer but I still am willing to wait and take what I can get.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:35 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:Because Gagne will go earlier than he should in most drafts if you wait until the 6th Trev I bet you wont get any of those guys either.

I know its not any of the 4 mentioned, but quality closers can be gotten after the 6th. In Mock 8 I took Isri and Dotel in the 7th-8th. There never was a real closer run like one would expect, so by taking them somewhat back to back (4 picks in between) I am hoping to start a 2nd tier closer run. Even still, not taking a closer till the 7th and ending up with Isri and Dotel will allow me to compete in that cat without wasting a top pick.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:41 pm

kentx12 wrote:I just cant see taking a closer in the first few rounds. I know I wont get a gagne/Smoltz type of closer but I still am willing to wait and take what I can get.

No me neither but it will start to happen this year among the less knowledgable.

Last year I grabbed Carter, Borowski, Hasegawa, Biddle and Worrell all after the draft off Waivers and out of FA and not only won the saves category handsomely but was able to use Biddle and Worrell as trade bait to grab some decent SP's later on as well.

These opportunities happen every season.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:11 pm

If Gagne is still on the board in the 4th round, then he will probably be on my team. If he goes before that, then someone else missed out on a 4 or 5 catagory producer.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Gagne worth taking early?

Postby stabone76 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:23 pm

Anonymous wrote:Don't be mislead by the subject. I agree I'm sure with 99% of ppl out there that gagne is worth a pick in 2-3rd round of most drafts.

Althouh he probably has nearly the best ERA, Whip, K/9, and Save totals of any pitcher. Due to the low number of innings pitched how valuable is he really? Do i really want to waste an early round pick on him?

My general strat would be to draft mostly hitters with my earlier picks and try to grab one stud pitcher to anchor my rotation.

Could someone fill me in on the overall draft strategy they would use when choosing to pick an elite closer like gagne with an early round pick.

Im planning on sitting back until GAGNE, Rivera, Wagner, Foulk are gone and pick up Percival or IZZY or wait til one of those three go and take whatever one of the four is left, then wait until way later and take a julio, kolb, etc.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers