Rotten Tomatoes 100 All Time Sci-Fi Films - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rotten Tomatoes 100 All Time Sci-Fi Films

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rotten Tomatoes 100 All Time Sci-Fi Films

Postby josebach » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:44 am

Coppermine wrote:
josebach wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Blade Runner is number 1, without a doubt, in my mind.

Can't wait for the re-release.

Supposedly they will release a DVD with all of the different versions of it including the original theatrical release. I personally liked the original with the Harrison Ford narration as it was the one I grew up watching. The most recent "directors cut" not only took out the narration, but it also toned down some of the more violent scenes.

It's a bummer when the "director's cut" actually takes away from the film rather than adds to it. I'm sure you can thank the MPAA for that. So I'm assuming the theatrical re-release is the director's cut?

I'm not positive, but I think this is a new cut and will be the 4th different version.

Oh, and I was talking about Steven Soderbergh's "Solaris" that I liked. I didn't even know about the other one. Was it the same story?
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:40 pm

No love for Highlander?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:31 am

Mookie4ever wrote:No love for Highlander?

Nope :-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:36 am

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an incredibly good movie, but I think it's a miss grouping to put it in a Sci-Fi list, although I think it's probably better than just about any Sci-Fi movie.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby josebach » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:38 am

Coppermine wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:No love for Highlander?

Nope :-b

I hadn't seen Highlander in about 6 or 7 years and I was telling my wife how awesome it was so one night we watched it. She was like... "this is stupid". :-b

What's funny is I kind of agreed with her. Highlander was most definitely one of my favorite movies growing up, but it doesn't have the staying power that some of the other great sci-fi movies have. For this reason it didn't make my top 10.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:58 am

is there a link to just the list or do i have to go through 1 by 1?

Terrible list BTW...oh, and any idea where Brazil was ranked?

i did check out the Worst of all time list
#1 Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Boyakasha » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:35 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an incredibly good movie, but I think it's a miss grouping to put it in a Sci-Fi list, although I think it's probably better than just about any Sci-Fi movie.

Agree. It's one of my favorite movies, but I don't consider it a sci-fi flick.

I loved Children of Men, it was one of my favorite movies of the past year or so, but top 10 of all time? Not sure about that.

I'm reluctant to put a movie that was made in the past 5 yrs or so in the top 10. You gotta let them marinate a bit and see how it's still being received after a bit of time has lapsed. Ironically, I haven't seen that many movies pre-1980, so it might be hypocritcal of me to use that as a prerequisite. I definitely think Blade Runner and 2001 need to be at the top of that list.

Gonna go, off the top of my head:
1. 2001
2. Blade Runner
3. Star Wars
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. Matrix
6. Alien
7. Planet of the Apes
8. Terminator
9. Donnie Darko (might move up higher after some more time has passed)
10. Tron (I don't really remember this movie, but remember loving it as a kid, so included it)
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:08 pm

I do not understand the fascination with 2001. I thought it was boring and overrated. I must be the only person who thinks though as it is a highly regarded film by pretty much everyone.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Boyakasha » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:10 pm

Yoda wrote:I do not understand the fascination with 2001. I thought it was boring and overrated. I must be the only person who thinks though as it is a highly regarded film by pretty much everyone.

You're not the only one, I've heard a lot of other people say that too. You have to remember, though, it was made in the late 60's and the special effects were amazing at the time. I still think they're pretty believable and it's 40 years later. You also have to remember that sci-fi films until then were like Attack of the Crazy Rubber Aliens from Space and stuff like that. Sci-fi films weren't legitimate until that movie.
Additionally, it's pretty much the only sci-fi movie on which you could write pages and pages of analysis of Kubrick's message on technology. And the visuals are amazing, from the huge space horizons to the symbolic stuff like the stick transitioning to the club transitioning to the space shuttle. Add to it one of the most memorable movie music scores of all time, and you have pretty much the only legitimate artistic sci-fi film ever made.

Plus, it's the #1 movie for stoners to watch besides Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon :-b
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:40 pm

ET as #1 is just silly IMHO.

I've never seen the international version or final cut (which I guess isn't out yet?) of Blade Runner. I do prefer the DC because the original botches the fact that Deckard is a Replicant. As for the voice-over, I didn't dislike it but it did seem unnecessary. Wonder if it will be in the final cut.

Everyone has a slightly different definition of SF. Not as bad as defining Slipstream fiction but it's close. I think you can make an argument that ESOTSM is SF. It's about a future how it affects those involved. Not sure how you rank it number two though.

Minority Report at #5? This is a good movie but I think this rating must be based on the source and not the movie itself.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk