Rotten Tomatoes 100 All Time Sci-Fi Films - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rotten Tomatoes 100 All Time Sci-Fi Films

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rotten Tomatoes 100 All Time Sci-Fi Films

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:59 pm

I thought I've seen pretty much every Sci Fi flick there is but I was wrong. In any case the top 10:

1. ET
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (umm)
3. Metropolis (eh)
4. Alien
5. Minority Report (good flick but top 5?)
6. Empire Strikes Back
7. Children of Men (good flick but definitely not top 10)
8. The Host (huh?)
9. Star Wars
10. Aliens

So outside of ET, Alien series and Star Wars series, I pretty much disagree with the rest of the top 10. I thought Terminator and Blade Runner should have been definitely top 10 as they both left a long impression on me and people I know.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/features/ ... 007/scifi/
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rotten Tomatoes 100 All Time Sci-Fi Films

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:14 pm

I see the Matrix is 32, that is one of my favorite movies. I didn't bother searching for the other 2 movies of the trilogy but I would guess they are somewhere on there. Also, I'm a really big fan of Planet of the Apes.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Field » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:25 pm

I was pretty dissapointed with Children of Men, I think they could have done so much more with it because the premise was so intriguing.

To me, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind isn't really a Sci-Fi movie; although, i did find it to be a very solid movie.

This list shows that they need to start making some more Sci-Fi movies, there has certainly been a lack of quality Sci-Fi movies in recent years (atleast my definition of Sci-Fi movies).
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:30 pm

What a terrible list. They have a lot of fantasy movies in there too. Tops on my list are Bladerunner and Highlander.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Eternal Sunshine was a sci-fi film? Never had seen it, but judging from the title, I thought it was a cheesy romantic flick. Go figure.

I understand that Metropolis had great influence on what formed the archetype for a dystopia sci-fi film, but surely, doesn't make it one of the best films ever in the genre. 2001 should've been ranked 2nd or 3rd in my mind instead of just 18th.

Blade Runner and Terminator I belong in the top 10 and so does Solaris in my book, even though it had taken me a few times to really appreciate it.

I didn't really enjoy Galaxy Quest; no idea as to why it was ranked fairly high, but loved the fact that Ghostbusters and Young Frankenstein (but more of a comedy though) cracked the top 30.

Don't think that AFI has a guide to the best sci-fi films of all time, but I'd probably like their rankings more than RT.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby josebach » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:46 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Blade Runner and Terminator I belong in the top 10 and so does Solaris in my book, even though it had taken me a few times to really appreciate it.

I really liked Solaris also. Most people didn't. I wouldn't put in in my top 10, though.

My top 10
1) Aliens
2) Terminator
3) Matrix
4) A.I.
5) Contact
6) Blade Runner
7) Alien
8) The Thing (John Carpenter's)
9) Close Encounters
10) Predator

My list is based on those movies that had the greatest effect on me personally and not necessarily those movies I think had the largest impact on the genre. Where I truly like the original Star Wars trilogy and thought all three films were revolutionary, I'm prone to enjoy serious movies more.

(All three of the original Star Wars would probably be in the 11-20 range)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby statsman88 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Donnie Darko is #47, but to me its like #1, but I still have to see a few of these movies. I'd put that one up more but maybe thats just me.
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:02 pm

You have to take into account that RT makes their lists based on average critical reception, rather than the timeless quality of the films themselves. Personally, I was dumbfounded by the absence of 2001, but that's just me... I do suggest checking out the movies you haven't heard of (as RT is more likely to include those films rather than those based merely on popularity) but here is a more reasonable Top 10 Sci Fi list from "The Guardian" that exercises more of the lasting power of a singular film rather than a narrow critical review. I'm sorry, the Brits are way ahead of us in creative taste... mostly because they don't have an FCC:

10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
09. The Matrix (1999)
08. War of the Worlds (1953)
07. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
06. Terminator/T2: Judgment Day (1984, 1991)
05. Solaris (1972)
04. Alien (1979)
03. Star Wars (1977)
02. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
01. Blade Runner (1982)

I agree with this list 100% and I'm glad they combined the Terminator movies since they are part of the same story. Blade Runner is number 1, without a doubt, in my mind.

Can't wait for the re-release.

PS - I was surprised Aliens wasn't included, but arguably, Aliens is more of an action film while Alien is pure Sci-Fi; and based on that, Aliens is one of the best action films ever. But Alien is a sci-fi classic.

PPS - I saw "The Day the Earth Stood Still" when I was about 10 years old and, I swear, it changed my life! If you haven't seen it, you NEED to.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:50 pm

Coppermine wrote:Blade Runner is number 1, without a doubt, in my mind.

Supposedly they will release a DVD with all of the different versions of it including the original theatrical release. I personally liked the original with the Harrison Ford narration as it was the one I grew up watching. The most recent "directors cut" not only took out the narration, but it also toned down some of the more violent scenes.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:11 pm

josebach wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Blade Runner is number 1, without a doubt, in my mind.

Supposedly they will release a DVD with all of the different versions of it including the original theatrical release. I personally liked the original with the Harrison Ford narration as it was the one I grew up watching. The most recent "directors cut" not only took out the narration, but it also toned down some of the more violent scenes.

It's a bummer when the "director's cut" actually takes away from the film rather than adds to it. I'm sure you can thank the MPAA for that. So I'm assuming the theatrical re-release is the director's cut?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk