No Left-Handed Throwing Catchers...Weird. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

No Left-Handed Throwing Catchers...Weird.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: No Left-Handed Throwing Catchers...Weird.

Postby markj11 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:59 pm

Nerfherders wrote:Actually they encourage first baseman to throw lefty because they dont have to turn around to catch the ball from the left side of the infield.

They may encourage lefties to play first but I don't think they encourage first basemen to throw lefty. Also, the main 2 advantages for a 1B to be left:
1. Quicker/Easier tags on pick-offs.
2. Much easier to throw to second on double plays.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:15 pm

i always assumed it was because with moreright handed batters, it is just tougher to throw the ball down to second on a steal if you throw left handed.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:02 pm

I was always told it was the problems throwing to third. Same reason you don't see left handed throwers on the left side of the infield.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dclark0699 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:13 pm

cloverhurstdawg wrote:I was always told it was the problems throwing to third. Same reason you don't see left handed throwers on the left side of the infield.

Right handed catchers can make very affective throws to first though...so I think it could be done.

Lefties on the left side of the infield is a different story because of how often they would have to do it, and how off-balance normal plays would become.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:02 pm

Silly lefties... Basically if you're a lefty you can play OF, 1B, or pitch. That's it. Never really thought about it that much before. Weird.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:11 pm

actually its easier for a right-hander to pick someone off at first, the snap throw to first is much easier then throwing across your body, its a dead give away and you would never pick anyone off as well as its a longer throw, but thats not the reason why catchers arent left handed. Throwing to 3rd would be easier/snap throw for a lefty then a righty.

While this isnt necessarily true, I believe these are the 2 strongest reasons I have always felt as why there are no left handed catchers.

1) When setting up behind the plate your glove hand foot (if that makes sense) is slightly in front of your throwing foot, and your glove hand being out gives you a slight angle to see the runner in your perephrial (spelling) vision. A lefty on the other hand would have his body slighty skewed towards 3b blocking that 1st base vision.

2) Lefties generally cant throw straight. Their ball always sails back to the left. Considering that the throw to second has to be the most "straight" throw in baseball, it is something else to consider. Lefties would tend to sail the ball towards the shortstop side of the bag, where as if it sails from a RH catcher it would goto the second base side of the bag and still give an opportunity to make a tag up the line

These are both my theories and are up for debate, but they seem pretty reasonable to me

ps I am lefthanded and caught into college ranks and those were my problems primarily

I posted this in the other thread originally
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers