No Left-Handed Throwing Catchers...Weird. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

No Left-Handed Throwing Catchers...Weird.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No Left-Handed Throwing Catchers...Weird.

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:22 pm

Only 33 left-throwing catchers have ever played even one inning in the MLB (and none since 1989). As a long-time baseball fan, I can't believe I never noticed/realized this. Very bizarre.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: No Left-Handed Throwing Catchers...Weird.

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:32 pm

I believe the rationale there has always been that there are more right handed batters, and it is tougher for a left handed catcher to come up throwing with a right handed batter in the box.

That being said, I've never quite bought this. Clearly catchers do manage to throw when a left-handed guy is up, and I've always found it hard to believe it would be a big deal in practice. But at least when I was a kid, they definitely discouraged any lefty from trying to play catcher.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 56)

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:46 pm

This is actually quite simple.

If a kid throws left-handed and has a great shoulder, chances are that he'll learn to pitch rather then catch.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:54 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:This is actually quite simple.

If a kid throws left-handed and has a great shoulder, chances are that he'll learn to pitch rather then catch.

That's a good point.

Another idea is that pitchers are used to throwing to the glove of a RH catcher. Maybe it would be hard to get used to a LH catcher.

ABS's thought is probably more correct though.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Field » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:02 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I believe the rationale there has always been that there are more right handed batters, and it is tougher for a left handed catcher to come up throwing with a right handed batter in the box.

That being said, I've never quite bought this. Clearly catchers do manage to throw when a left-handed guy is up, and I've always found it hard to believe it would be a big deal in practice. But at least when I was a kid, they definitely discouraged any lefty from trying to play catcher.

Yeah, but at the Little League level, the majority of players are right-handed. At the higher level of baseball it might not be a big factor when throwing guys out at second, but it definitely makes it more difficult at the lower levels.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby sportsguy138 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:04 pm

There was a thread about this, not too long ago, here. One of the interesting things that I found out that hasn't been mentioned, is the fact that there aren't many left handed catcher gloves available to young kids. If you want to get one, you need to specially order it.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:25 pm

blankman wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:This is actually quite simple.

That's a good point.

Another idea is that pitchers are used to throwing to the glove of a RH catcher. Maybe it would be hard to get used to a LH catcher.

ABS's thought is probably more correct though.

it is a good point, but that doesnt explain why there are left handed throwing first baseball and outfielders.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nerfherders » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm

Actually they encourage first baseman to throw lefty because they dont have to turn around to catch the ball from the left side of the infield.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby abc11435 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:36 pm

If you throw left handed, wouldnt it be hard to thrwo out a runner at 3rd base? I mean you almost never have to snap throw to 1st...
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby pantagrapher » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 pm

abc11435 wrote:If you throw left handed, wouldnt it be hard to thrwo out a runner at 3rd base? I mean you almost never have to snap throw to 1st...

That's what I always thought was the reasoning—that it's much, much harder for a lefty to get leverage for the all-important throw to third. It's probably a combination of the reasons stated in this thread. They all seem to make sense.
pantagrapher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers