Man Crosses Atlantic in Heilum Balloon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Man Crosses Atlantic in Heilum Balloon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Man Crosses Atlantic in Heilum Balloon

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:50 am

DIJON, France (CP) - After leaving Newfoundland and Labrador on Monday night, British adventurer David Hempleman-Adams has crossed the Atlantic Ocean in his helium balloon.

He has also set a world distance record for the size of balloon he used to make the crossing.

Organizers of the voyage say it is the smallest gas balloon ever to attempt this flight.

Early on Friday, Hempleman-Adams was flying across western France, having beaten the old record of 3,400 kilometres when he was in view of the French coastline.

Hempleman-Adams started his voyage from St. John's.

Organizers say this is the smallest gas balloon every to attempt the flight.

The British businessman says he has barely slept on the journey.

"The French countryside is gorgeous," he wrote in his blog. "Thank God I'm over land."

With extensive experience in ballooning, Hempleman-Adams earlier became the first man to reach the geographic and magnetic north and south poles, and climb the highest peaks on all seven continents.

The balloon designer, Bert Padelt, built a cat flap in the basket so Hempleman-Adams could put his feet outside when he slept, although there was never a chance to use it during the trip.

The previous record holder, Benoit Simeons, praised Hempleman-Adams in a message read during the flight.

"This adventure is without any doubt the most daring flight ever tried with this kind of balloon," Simeons said, adding he would have a beer waiting for the new record holder if he happened to land the balloon in Belgium.

Bad weather in France meant Hempleman-Adams wasn't able to land where he wanted to in France, but plans were being made to touch down near Dijon.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Man Crosses Atlantic in Heilum Balloon

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:09 pm

It's about time someone did this. I bet he had the best ham sandwich ever after landing in Dijon.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Coppermine wrote:It's about time someone did this. I bet he had the best ham sandwich ever after landing in Dijon.

They don't have ham sandwiches in France; they have croque-monsieurs. ;-7 But some Grey Poupon on a croque-monsieur sounds pretty darn tasty.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby josebach » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:22 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:It's about time someone did this. I bet he had the best ham sandwich ever after landing in Dijon.

They don't have ham sandwiches in France; they have croque-monsieurs. ;-7 But some Grey Poupon on a croque-monsieur sounds pretty darn tasty.

Mais bien sûr
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:41 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:

And someone once called me a snob because I don't eat yellow mustard... sheesh :-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk